Chapter 7.

Thud. The frantic flapping quickly dies as I wade towards the fish, pulling out my arrow and washing the blood away from my prey.

"Here," I call, and Tuk rushes in to grab it.

"Straight through the eye? How did you get that shot through the water?"

"I guess I'm just good like that," I say shrugging amusedly as she looks feverishly from my face to the fish in her hands. "Here, put it with the others. This way we won't have to go any find anything else for dinner."

I watch as she runs excitedly out of the water to lay it with the other fish in our little basket. I had spent most of the morning with her, teaching her to weave from palm fronds and riding on our ilu. Lo'ak and Tsireya had gone off together to practise breathing, and I didn't know where Kiri or Neteyam went. With Aonung being the other only option left to hang out with, I had taken little Tuk around all morning.

"Hey," I hear a voice say, and I turn quickly, bow raised and arrow trained right on the person's heart.

"Oh," I say with relief, lowering the bow from Rotxo as he holds up his hands quickly. "What are you doing here?"

"Um, I was just swimming when I saw you. I couldn't really find anyone else, and we've never really hung out."

"Okay," I say, a little confused, but I smile at him. Although he had first teased our tails when we met, I had quickly noticed much more about him. Rotxo is sweet and welcoming, patient and understanding to teach us the ways of the reef. "I was just hunting, but I think I've got enough. Do you want to come and take them to the village?"

"Sure," he says, and together we walk along the beach towards Awa'atlu. He holds the basket of fish for me, and Tuk dances ahead of us, running and flipping all over the sand.

"So, what's going on with you and Kiri?"

He splutters a little at my question, then blushes furiously and ducks his head away, hiding a bashful smile. I laugh at his obviousness and he flushes deeper.

"I ... me? Her? No. I mean, she's very... and I'm..."

"Oh Eywa," I laugh, watching with amusement as he splutters. "It's okay, Rotxo. I won't tell her, I just notice things."

"Oh. Thank you. But it doesn't mean... you know..."

"Of course," I say mock reassuringly. "You two would be sweet. I always see you watching her, and helping her. I can give you a hand if you want."

He laughs it off awkwardly, and his bashfulness is endearing. Tuk comes running back up to us, her face looking confused and a little worried.

"I saw Kiri in the beach, and Aonung and his friends were coming towards her. They looked really mean, Koy."

I frown and pause, darting ahead to peer around the curve of the beach. Sure enough, Aonung is standing over Kiri, who lies face down in the water. What is going on.

"Here, Rotxo, take Tuk back to the village and don't go past them."

"But," he protests, looking desperately at Kiri, who hasn't looked up. "What are they-"

"No. I'll take care of it. Please, just take Tuk back. I don't want her to see anything."

I crouch beside my little sister, who is twisting her hands worriedly.

"Tuk, go with Rotxo. I'll figure this out, don't worry."

She looks up at me, and I put as much stern pleading in my gaze as I can. Finally she concedes, and I sigh with relief.

"Thank you. Rotxo, please."

He nods after a moment, and steers Tuk away. I smooth back my hair and make sure my bow is slung carefully over my shoulder. Slowly, I approach my sister and the four Metkayinan boys.