Chapter 5.

OOTD: Enjoy the first meeting :)

"Be nice," Dad mutters, holding his hands up. Neteyam does the same, a non-threatening, diplomatic look fixed on his face. Kiri and I, in true twin fashion, both scowl and roll our eyes. We approach the gathering crowd slowly, and two figures dart through and forward to study us.

They are both boys around our age, tall and built. One's curly hair springs around his almost sweet looking face, and the other, taller one's hair is braided back into a bun. Neteyam and Lo'ak both gesture genially at them.

I see you.

They don't gesture back, so I don't bother. Kiri nudges me, and they both stare expectantly at me, but I raise my head, glaring straight back at them until they move around to examine us.

"Bro, what is that?" The shorter one laughs, jabbing his friend. "Is that supposed to be a tail?"

Neteyam and I move closer together, turning as one to cast them cold looks. I expect Lo'ak to react, but he's staring blankly into the water. I follow his gaze to see a very pretty, small girl, with smooth curly hair and large blue eyes. I smirk as she emerges and approaches, Lo'ak's eyes following her.

He ducks his head when he notices Neteyam and I snickering, but I see him look back.

"It's too small. How are they supposed to swim?"

I move furiously towards the two boys and they step back, their smiles fading a little, but Neteyam yanks me back. Mom casts me a warning look, but the girl smacks their reaching hands away from my tail.

"Do not. Rotxo. Aonung."

She turns to us, and I smile at her.

"Hey," Lo'ak says, and it's her turn to duck away, blushing slightly.

"Real smooth," I whisper to him. 

"Shut up," he hisses, shoving me, so I punch him hard. "Ow!"

"Akoya," Dad mutters.

"Fine." I scowl warningly at Lo'ak, who shoots a sheepish smile at the girl. I turn back to glare one last time at the two boys. The taller one is smirking, and Kiri rolls her eyes at him, pulling me back around as two others approach. From the respectful gaze of the onlookers and their confident stature, I guess they must be Tonowari and Ronal, the clan leaders of the Metkayina. Mom and Dad both gesture towards Tonowari and Ronal, the latter of which is stoic and sour. One hand rests across the Tsahik's belly, shielding her unborn child.

"Why do you come to us, Jake Sully," Tonowari asks.

"We seek Uturu."

"Uturu?" Ronal repeats in disbelief, her face yet hardening still. She seems so foreboding, all beautiful and cold and terrifying.