Chapter 12.

The sand fades to grass as I move away from the beach through the forest. I sense my siblings, Rotxo and Tsireya's confusion, but Aonung seems to understand what I'm doing as I lead them through the forest.

"Where are we going, Koy?" Tuk asks, slipping her hand into mine.

"It's a surprise, you little munchkin. Just enjoy the forest. I like to pretend we're back at home when I come in here," I tell my little sister, and she laughs.

We move up into the branches, and the three Metkayina teens wait hesitantly below.

"Come on," I call down to them. "It's not that hard, just walk on the branches we do and if you need to, hold your arms and tail out like this for balance."

I see Lo'ak helping Tsireya up, and exchange a knowing smile with Rotxo, reaching down to help him up as well. I see Aonung scowl as I steady Rotxo, my hands on his shoulders.

"What," I say, and he shakes his head, trying to scramble up by himself. Shaking my head as the branch wobbles dangerously at his erratic movements, I quickly grab him. "Stay still you skxawng. Just follow behind me and put your arms out."

Slowly, we make our way through the trees, gradually moving higher and higher as the branches thicken the further into the forest we move. I stay back to keep an eye on Rotxo and Aonung, the latter or which is horribly uncoordinated at moving through the trees. I always laugh when he stumbles.

"I guess we are good at moving through the trees. The oceans easier than the forest, so I guess we're just better at adapting than you are," I tease Aonung as he falls flat on his face, and Rotxo chuckles as well. 

The three of us are at the back of the group. Lo'ak is helping Tsireya, staying very close, and I suspect she might be stumbling a little more than necessary, as she blushes and smiles every time he reaches out to catch her. Neteyam, Kiri and Tuk have all moved ahead, and eventually I leave Rotxo and Aonung to move in front of everyone and stop them.

"Okay, here's the surprise, I've been working really hard on it."

I scoop up tiny Tuk as everyone squints up.

"I don't see it," I hear Rotxo say to Kiri, who rolls her eyes and points up into the canopy directly above us where my hut lays.

Small gasps and squeals sound from behind us and Tuk lets out a squeal of joy.

"Koy, it looks like home!"

She wriggles free and is the first to scramble up the tree and into the hut, quickly followed by an awestruck, laughing Kiri.

"Did you make this?" Neteyam asks, impressed.

"Yeah, where did you think I was all of the last few weeks," I say, but I can't help smiling as he gives me a hug.

"This is great, thanks sis," Lo'ak says, punching my shoulder before leading Tsireya up.

"Careful," I call after them. Aonung, Rotxo and I are the last left on the branch. Rotxo's sweet face is impressed and curious, so I move up first and help him up. Again, Aonung frowns. "What?"

"You could have helped me princess," Aonung grumbles at my question, so I reluctantly stretch my hand up to help him up.

"I already showed this to you, ungrateful fish face. And don't call me princess-" I retort.

"You took him here before us?" Lo'ak asks indignantly.

"He followed me here," I correct. "Anyway, this is my hideout. I built it to remind me of home."

I scramble around, lighting the fire and everyone sits around it, laughing and chatting. It warms my heart to see the impressed, delighted looks on everyone's face as they stare around at my creation. I had hunted earlier in the morning before bringing my friends and siblings here, so I make Neteyam, Lo'ak and Aonung cook the several fish and Kiri and Tsireya chop some herbs and fruits to eat with it.