42

Dropping the illusion, I keep my grip on Veers' hand and we find our way backstage. The silence is only broken by the murmurs of the other champions as we all head for the elevators. There are Children of Thanos there, visible in the dim light, making sure that only two champions get in each cab, so when Tony and Wanda attempt to follow Veers and I, they are held back.

I never drop my grip on Veers' hand, not even when the elevator doors close on us and we're alone. Nor does she loosen her own grasp on my fingers, both of us staring resolutely at the doors before us. Neither of us speak.

When the doors open, placing us back on our own floor, I turn to face Veers, dropping her hand to grasp her shoulders and waiting for the elevator doors to slide shut before speaking. "I have chosen, Veers, but you...tell me, are you still my ally?"

Veers nods, her gaze fierce. "Yes. Loki, I am still your ally. We are in this, to the end, together. Just like before." Then she folds her arms around my neck, pulling me to her, and after a moment, I wrap my arms around her.

"Together." And although I don't want to mean it, I know I have no choice. There will be no life for me, after the arena, if Veers dies through some fault of my own. So I have no choice but to be her ally, as truly as possible.

Which, most likely, means I will not make it out alive.

Not by any way that I can think of, at the moment.

Valkyrie arrives a few minutes later, and Veers and I break apart then. "Your demonstration has caused mayhem," she tells us. "Jane and the others have gone. Hela will be up in a moment, but...listen to me. Whether you like it or not, you're bound together in this Endeavor. Remember that. Okay?"

Veers and I both nod. "We will," she promises.

"We have no choice now, do we?" I say. "That interview determined that."

Hela steps out the elevator just then, her gaze immediately landing on the three of us. "Excellent," she says, her smile more frightening than reassuring. "Excellent show of resistance, brother. And you, too, Veers. Thanos is seething now, I bet. This Infinity Endeavor is truly personal to him."

I glance back at Nebula, still hanging suspended in our living room, and I wonder if she will remember any of this, if this will wind up as a recording. Does it matter, anyway? It'll all soon be over, one way or another, no matter what we say.

Valkyrie looks at both of us, eyes dark with pain. "Good luck tomorrow," she says quietly. "Watch each other's backs." Then she walks past Nebula, toward her room. We won't see her tomorrow.

Hela waits until Valkyrie has left the room, then directs her gaze back to us. "This isn't a game," she warns. "This won't be like the last time. This'll be worse, because he wants you two dead. And after tonight...he'll want a lot more of your fellow champions dead, as well. But whichever one of you lot survive, he'll make sure you are a champion of his Balance from here on out." For a moment she pauses, as if considering. Then, "Loki, remember, in the arena, who actually wears the gauntlet."

"I know who, sister," I reply, perplexed. "It's Thanos."

Hela's eyes burn. "Then remember that." She pats Veers on the shoulder, turning her toward her room as she keeps her eyes on me. "I need a minute with my brother."

Veers casts me a look, squeezes my hand, and then departs. I look back to Hela only to see the gravest look on her face that I've ever seen there. "Brother, I asked you last time you entered that arena what you were the god of. And you answered that question beautifully. Now, I need you to remember that answer, and remember the wearer of the gauntlet, when you go in tomorrow. Promise me."