18

We reach District 1, Wakanda, the next day. Wakanda is the district which mines vibranium, one of the strongest metals in the galaxy, for use in weapons and technology. The Dora Milaje greet us as the Statesman lands, standing at attention with their spears ramrod straight, shafts planted firmly on the stones in the palace courtyard. We walk between them toward King T'Chaku and Queen Ramonda, their children and two of Wakanda's champions, T'Challa and Shuri, standing to either side of them. T'Chaku's advisor and yet another Wakandan champion, Zuri, stands behind them.

"Welcome to Wakanda," T'Chaku greets us. I don't sense any open hostility from him, despite the fact that I did kill one of his contenders, Killmonger, who I only just learned was the king's nephew. The Dora Milaje don't necessarily seem happy we're here, but then again, when have I ever seen them looking happy on any of the recaps I've seen in Wakanda? Even Shuri's victory wasn't enough to put a smile on their faces.

I remember Okoye, one of last year's contenders, being from the Dora Milaje. Pietro had killed her, to save me, slamming into her and sending her crashing into the Gauntlet. She had been an excellent fighter, but not enough to withstand the force of his speed.

I decide not to mention that part in my speech tonight.

Thor and Shuri greet each other civilly, both of them champions from one of the six Space Games. Then Shuri looks at me and nods, meeting Veers' eyes as well.

That's right. All four of us are champions from the Space Games.

I had never thought about that before. Since the 36th Contest of Champions ended not only the Space Games rotation but also ended the first six sets of Contests, the next Contest will be a mystery. Rumors have flown as to whether Thanos will simply restart the Contests, cycling back to the Soul Games, or if something huge and magnificent will be planned. But regardless, something is always planned for the champions of their set after its completion, which for the Space Games includes Thor, Steve Rogers, Hope Van Dyne, Wanda Maximoff, Shuri, me, and Veers.

Selvig and Darcy prepare us for our speech, dressing us in Midgardian clothes again. I have to wonder what the obsession is with making Veers and I look Midgardian, considering I am most certainly not one and although Veers is, they don't know that. But when I ask Selvig, he only gives me a vague answer about making me "look like one of them."

I got that part, Selvig. My question is why.

Neither Veers nor I go off script during our speech. Only two people represent the dead contenders, and both look like they were their lovers. Both also look very angry that the two of us didn't die instead.

Look, everyone wants their dead to come home, I want to spit at their glaring eyes. But most people only get ashes. I wasn't going to let my family be the one with ashes. I'm perfectly fine with you receiving them, though.

But I don't say that. Too antagonistic, in my opinion.

The event afterwards is held inside the palace, and goes better than I expected. T'Challa is polite to both of us, and even asks Veers for a dance. Shuri requests a dance with me, and I oblige, although I don't want to. I'm surprised when I actually enjoy her company, her mind nearly as sharp as mine.

Afterwards, Shuri speaks with Thor, Veers, and I about the Initiation, the spectacle where all six – in our case, seven – of the champions for that particular rotation join together to lead a mission in service of the Balance, usually against the Skrulls. For some, it is only their first mission as a champion among many – for others, their only mission. It determines a champion's future, whether mentoring other, possible champions or eliminating the Skrulls from the galaxy.

I had forgotten all about it before tonight.

Will Thanos even allow me to go, what with the unrest? The unrest he blames me for?

"I am looking forward to working with you," Shuri is saying seriously, drawing my attention back to the present. "All of the space champions represent a unique set of skills and abilities. I am most certainly curious to see how we learn to fight together." She gives us a sharp smile.

"It will be enlightening," I reply, running through the contenders in my head. Thor has his superior fighting skills and his control over lightning. Steve is a super soldier, and Hope has the ability to shrink and fly through her Wasp suit. Wanda has her telekinesis and telepathy, while Shuri is a technological genius. And then there is Veers, a Kree with the ability to shoot photon blasts, and me, a not-quite Asgardian with a silvertongue and a gift for magic.

Interesting, indeed.

Over the course of the event, while Shuri and another Wakandan woman are doing some traditional dance to the beat of drums, I glance around to see Hela and Ronan speaking quietly with T'Chaku. My eyes then find Valkyrie, who is watching them with sharp eyes, her dark-skinned knuckles pale from their tight grip around the neck of a bottle. For a long moment, she watches them, the bottle neck eventually cracking under her grip. She glances down at it in surprise, the shards of glass falling to the floor, and then looks up to meet my gaze.

And her eyes hold only sorrow and regret.

/**/

Here's the special Wednesday update! If they can be the new Fridays for the Loki show, they can be the new Sundays for my Loki fanfics (or, at least, the extra updates - you're still getting chapters on Sunday, after all!)! These extra Wednesday updates will alternate between Dark Soldier and Mastering Illusions.