The trip was planned for tomorrow.

Why was he leaving early?

It didn't make sense.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm crashing at Nathan's tonight. We'll be leaving early tomorrow for the trip."

And once again he was gone before I could speak.

***************
As Alex stormed away without a backward glance, leaving me standing alone in the hallway, my heart plummeted into the depths of despair. The weight of his rejection bore down on me, threatening to crush my spirit. Tears pricked at the corners of my eyes, but I blinked them back, refusing to show any weakness.

In the midst of my turmoil, I noticed a figure lurking in the shadows, watching the scene unfold. It was Nicholas, his eyes alight with amusement as he observed the aftermath of his machinations. Anger surged through me like a wildfire, driving away the sadness and despair that had threatened to consume me just moments before.

Without a second thought, I stormed after him, my footsteps echoing loudly in the empty corridor.

Each step fueled by fury, each breath heavy with determination.

"Nicholas!" I called out, my voice sharp with anger.

He turned to face me, that familiar arrogant smirk playing on his lips. "Ah, Elizabeth," he greeted, his tone dripping with condescension. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Don't play games with me," I snapped, advancing towards him with purpose. "You know damn well why I'm here. That video—it was you, wasn't it? You orchestrated the whole damn thing."

Nicholas's smirk widened into a grin, his eyes gleaming with malice. "Perhaps," he admitted, his tone oozing with satisfaction. "But you have to admit, it was quite the show, wasn't it?"

My fists clenched at my sides, my nails digging into my palms. "You're a bastard, Nicholas," I seethed, my voice trembling with rage. "You've ruined everything—all because you couldn't stand to see me happy."

Nicholas chuckled darkly, the sound sending a shiver down Elizabeth's spine. "Oh, please," he scoffed, his eyes gleaming with malice. "You were never happy, Elizabeth. You were just deluding yourself, clinging to some fantasy that didn't exist."

My jaw tightened as I fought to control my temper. "You don't know anything about me," I spat, my voice low and dangerous.

Nicholas's smirk widened into a cold, calculating smile. "Maybe," he admitted, his voice laced with malice. "But really, Elizabeth, can you blame me? You were always so naive, it was too easy."

Easy.

My hands trembled with rage as I fought to keep my composure. "You're despicable," I spat, my voice barely above a whisper.

"You've ruined everything—my relationship with Alex, my reputation, my life."

Nicholas chuckled darkly, the sound sending shivers down my spine. "Oh, please," he scoffed. "You should be thanking me. I did you a favor, Elizabeth. I showed you the truth—the truth about Alex, about yourself. You were always too blind to see it."

The words cut deep, slicing through my defenses like a knife. I felt sick to my stomach, the weight of Nicholas's manipulation crushing my spirit.

"You think you can manipulate me, control me? Well, you're wrong. I won't let you destroy me."

Nicholas rose from his chair, his expression cold and calculating. "Destroy you?" he echoed, a cruel smile twisting his lips. "Oh, Elizabeth, you're doing a fine job of that all on your own. You always were your own worst enemy."