Through the portal

Start from the beginning

He crawled towards the mantis quickly as it looked for a way to escape. It seemed to have given up hope as Y/N had attached himself to its leg, ready to be devoured. But as it waited for its impending doom, it felt Y/N crawl up its surprisingly sturdy legs and onto its body which was as thick as a tree branch. It stayed silent and still as Y/N explored it's body, hoping it could live to see another day. As Y/N reached its head it began to feel safe, knowing that if the tiny creature wanted to eat him then it would have already done so.

But as Y/N sat on the mantis' head he suddenly slipped off, falling through the air. Both bugs were put into panic as the child fell but thankfully the mantis extended it's arms and caught Y/N which made him laugh, seemingly amused by his fall. The ant also seemed to find it funny aswell as it let out a series of clicks that sounded like laughter. The mantis' antennae furrowed as it lowered the child into the ant's back which cause the ant to immediately stop laughing. The mantis laughed at the ant which struggled to get Y/N off it's back as he held on tightly.

The ant eventually gave up and lay on the ground in exhaustion. Both insects looked around, looking for Y/N's parents but as they saw that they were nowhere to be found they realised that the young boy was lost. They shared a look at each other, now knowing what a responsibility they had. Looking around one last time, the ant got up and began to walk with the mantis by its side, ready to start their new life.

12 years later

A creature swung through the trees of Amphibia's forest with practiced skill. He had the abody shape of a human yet there was something inhuman about him aswell. Attached to his arms were a mechanism which caused small mantis arms to spring forward from his forearms which proved useful to swinging from branch to branch. Ontop of his head sat a makeshift pair of antennae which were attached to a hairband which sat firmly in his dirty hair. Attached to his back were two see-through insect wings that went down to his thighs that fluttered gracefully as he swung from branch to branch. And over his face was a bug-like mask that fitted over his face. It was dark green with large red eyes that were similar to a fly. This was the new Y/N.

Ever since Y/N could remember, he had always lived in Amphibia with his parents, Mantis and Ant. They took him in when they found him as a baby lost in the woods. When he was old enough to go out alone, he would go to small villages to steal food and supplies for his family, including clothes which was what he was currently wearing. Thank god that some frogs were almost his height.

On this current day, he was headed out to one of his favourite towns: Wartwood. The food there was always delicious and he always had entertainment from the wacky individuals that inhabited the town. He longed to be part of their society but he knew that he could never due to his abnormal body. Mantis and Ant always told him that people would be scared of him if he ever showed his face and body which was one of the main reasons why he wore his mask.

Swinging through the tree branches, he saw it and dug one of his claws into a tree and surveyed the town. Everyone there looked so happy and joyful. Y/N cracked his knuckles, almost falling from the tree as he did so but managed to dig his other claw into the tree.

Y/N: Alright, in and out. Don't try to hurt anyone. Grab the food and go. Wait, what day is it? Oh please tell me it's Wednesday, the best cabbages are sold on Wednesday.

As Y/N wondered about cabbages, he shook his head to get rid of the thought and leapt off the tree and onto the floor. He hid himself in the shadows of the trees and slowly approached the market where stalls sat ready to be stolen from. Whatever Y/N and his parents could eat, he would get.