Chapter 64 - New Year's Eve - Part 3

Mulai dari awal

"Actually, I only officially found out here." Ryan's words surprised him enough that he turned to him in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

This time it was Ryan who paused. Evan's eyes almost burned him with the intensity with which he was looking at him, and his words obviously caught the attention of the others as they also stopped doing everything and looked at the boy on Evan's left side.

"I saw many things through your eyes. Many things you like coffee or books. But one thing stuck out to me," he started, and Evan watched every movement of his lips, expecting more. His life was somehow not particularly interesting, at least not for someone who was also a werewolf and had no idea what could interest him.

"I saw you draw. I didn't see the whole picture, but I saw you sign it," he explained, and Evan didn't need to hear more. The memory of how he had carved his signature into the ground at this exact spot flashed into his head. Now he finally knew what Ryan's expression meant then.

"The upside-down E?" Angie asked, not understanding as she didn't have all the details like the two of them.

"Yeah," he nodded. "He wrote it right in front of me the other day."

"And what about you?" Michael turned the conversation back to Evan again. He and Angie quickly exchanged glances as even in this state, his best friend knew why he was hesitating.

"I've known for a while," he said, not elaborating on the sentence. However, this answer was not enough for the other two boys. Evan sensed it from the intensity of their gazes even before Michael dared him to continue.

"Did you see something in the vision too?"

"I saw Ryan's first name a year ago," he admitted. It was nothing overwhelming since thousands of people in the world had the same name.

"What about this year?" Michael was clearly not giving up, and just like before in this place, he was once again ready to show Evan the truth if necessary.

"Actually, I saw you," he decided to tell the truth and turned to the eager boy. He seemed surprised by his answer.

"Me?" he asked, making sure.

"At the Rock Pop Diner. Why do you think we were there for coffee?" Angie added before Evan could. She was obviously still proud of her little plan, which, although it divided them for a while, ended up working out perfectly, otherwise they wouldn't be sitting here like this today.

"I knew something wasn't adding up," Michael remarked, earning a punch to the shoulder from Angie, who still had her legs draped over him. Her hand was on his shoulder until now, as if supporting herself, and that's exactly where she put it back after hitting him.

"Oh, c'mon, as if we can't be in North Hallson sometime," Evan immediately protested, even though he knew it was bullshit.

"Yeah, when you're sleeping," Michael didn't hesitate to say. Ryan chuckled at this, and Evan gave him an almost reproachful look, though he didn't really mind. He teased him constantly and Ryan mostly made him blush. Occasionally it had to be switched.

"I didn't want to say it out loud, but we all know it anyway. We're too good for North Hallson," Angie stated, tossing her hair dramatically. The sudden movement almost caused her to fall onto her back, but luckily, she still had some of her weight on Michael, and her hand clinging to his shoulder.

"Come on, North Hallson isn't that bad," Michael said, but his voice wasn't entirely convincing. Everyone present knew that he had been struggling here, too, as people kept whispering about him.

"Not now," Evan corrected him, resting his head on Ryan's shoulder to clarify his words. This gesture obviously caused something to stir in Michael, and his expression suddenly took on a seriousness. He straightened up, his shoulders suddenly not as relaxed as before. Evan knew it didn't bode well, but he hoped whatever Michael was going to say wouldn't ruin their evening together.

"You didn't want a mate," he said, and Evan immediately knew where this conversation was going to go next. However, he was ready to answer all of his questions and with his answers reassure not only him but also the boy at his side, whose heartbeat matched his own.

"Not before, but I think it's obvious that's changed," Evan's voice was firm, as was the decision he was sharing.

"Good," Michael assessed, but it was clear that he wanted to say more.

"We don't need to talk about this right now," Ryan cut in, as always, saving Evan from a conversation he didn't want to have. He always put Evan before himself, and Evan decided it was time to stop being used to it.

"We can talk about that later," he began, sounding like he agreed with Ryan's assessment that it wasn't the right time yet. But then he caught him off guard. "But one thing is for sure, I love having a mate."

Before Ryan could say anything, and before Angie could rejoice, he turned to Michael and said something he never believed he would say, "You were right. Thanks for helping me realize that."

"Awww." Of course, Angie couldn't help but react immediately.

Evan felt Ryan's kiss on his hair, and his cheeks turned red again. Before he could catch himself, a small smile formed on his lips. And he wasn't the only one smiling. Since Michael was directly in front of him, he could see how his words pleased him, although he did not respond to them verbally. The two still had trouble communicating with each other when it wasn't about insulting.

"I love having a mate too." Ryan's warm breath tickled his ear, and his words intensified the colour in his cheeks.

"I want what you guys have," Angie whined, swinging herself back and forth.

"Doesn't everyone?" Michael said, and although his tone didn't suggest he was feeling sad, Evan suspected the truth. It was quite unfair that he, although he didn't want to have his soulmate at first, got it almost immediately, and a good guy like Michael, who had been waiting for his practically his whole life, had to keep waiting.

"You'll find yours, don't worry." Ryan reached behind Evan's back to touch his cousin's shoulder.

"Maybe we could go on a road trip," Evan suddenly suggested.

"Oh, yes, we could check out all the nearby cities. And if that doesn't work out, we can see if your mate is hiding in like Paris. That would be quite romantic," Angie immediately matched his enthusiasm.

Before Michael could answer that, there was a loud explosion. All four of them flinched until understanding appeared on their faces. The last few minutes passed, and it was midnight.

"Happy New Year guys," Ryan was the first to break the silence accompanied by explosions and coloured lights. There was a quiet contentment in his voice that Evan didn't miss, and he was happy. His voice was enough to make Evan think that he really might have had a lucky year ahead of him. After all, he was supposed to spend it by the side of his soulmate. His Bane.

"Happy New Year!" Angie's eyes watched with excitement as colourful shapes cut through the dark sky and slowly disintegrated right in front of their eyes.

It was moments like these that made Evan grateful to be born a member of The Ice Claws Pack. Although in his mind, this pack was a bit smaller, and instead of a pack house it had a dilapidated building in the middle of Nowhere.