Hitting The Place Over the Rainbow

Start from the beginning

In a strange way, it was like this feeling had always been here, he had just been burying it. No not burying it exactly, it was like he refused to admit that he was feeling it, because it was too nostalgic, too close to home.

Whatever he was before, the amalgamation of two beings, one had been holding the feeling back, he was never able to tell if it was him, or the other, but it was like the feeling hadn't meant anything until he was wishing to see it, wishing he was in that moment.

Paintball was the first thing he thought of, the smell of paint crossed his nose, despite none being nearby, then it became closer to the taste of food, toasted marshmallows, ice cream, blue coke, a McDonald's happy meal, apples, muffins. Finally, strawberries.

Feelings ran through him in quick succession, he didn't comprehend one before another overcame his senses, familiar scents and tastes he longed for, laughter, fun, friends, they all flashed past him and then the memory hit him.

The memory was hazy at best, but comforting, and made the rain feel less bracing as it came to him, a fragment of himself reclaimed. He remembered the effort of lifting the sheets, that were tied down so tightly.

He remembered crawling underneath them and resting his head on her pillow, she would smile at him like she hadn't seen or heard him coming, a tired smile, but one he would never forget, her hands were trembling as she held his, her skin was cold but her touch felt so very warm.

Even though she was scared, even though she knew what the rain and the thunder truly meant, and the dangers that hid behind them, she would comfort him, pulling him into a hug with all her strength.

His chest hurt, maybe in the moment it had been jostled a little, he could never quite remember, because he pushed the pain out of his mind as they embraced and she told him not to be afraid. He would never have to be afraid when he was with her.

He remembered a time where they would look out of the window at the raindrops on the glass, and how sometimes, the lighting that searched the sky for them would make the raindrops glow in the greys of the early morning.

He remembered dancing in puddles the next day when she felt like she could, and watching old movies together when she couldn't, but most of all he remembered that feeling of just being there, nothing else in the world mattering...everything...else...fading away...

In a moment of profound happiness, and striking longing for the past, all of a sudden, (Y/N) was very glad it was raining. As tears fell in the rain, he was unaware that the memory he had just felt, the one he longed for, had been his last thought.

Piper's POV

Piper dreamed about her last day with her dad. They were on the beach near Big Sur, taking a break from surfing. The morning had been so perfect, Piper knew something had to go wrong soon —a rabid horde of paparazzi, or maybe a great white shark attack.

No way her luck could hold. But so far, they'd had excellent waves, an overcast sky, and a mile of oceanfront completely to themselves. Dad had found this out-of-the-way spot, rented a beachfront villa and the properties on either side, and somehow managed to keep it secret.

If he stayed there too long, Piper knew the photographers would find him. They always did. "Nice job out there, Pipes." He gave her the smile he was famous for: perfect teeth, dimpled chin, a twinkle in his dark eyes that always made grown women scream and ask him to sign their bodies in permanent marker.

(Seriously, Piper thought, get a life.) His close-cropped black hair gleamed with salt water. "You're getting better at hanging ten." Piper flushed with pride, though she suspected Dad was just being nice.