𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐬𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐦𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐲

»»————««

vii.
s c i a m a c h y
a battle against imaginary enemies; fighting your shadow

»»————««

Everyday, Kuroo skips his classes, goes straight to his dorm, and is pleased to find you sitting on the couch, waiting for his arrival.

There's new things that Kuroo learns about you the more you visit him. As always, you two start off with your usual conversations, sharing stories about school and your personal lives, and somehow — but not surprisingly — the night ends in his bedroom.

It's the only thing Kuroo looks forward to every time he watches the sun rise in the morning, since he still can't sleep at night. However, he's adjusted to his new routine, being that he meets you in his dorm as soon as he ditches his class.

And the pills. Kuroo takes them every night like clockwork. He set a daily alarm on his phone for his medication, along with five other reminders throughout the day. He knows it's not necessary, but just in case is what he tells himself.

But in the end, it doesn't matter because the pills still don't work, or at least, they haven't been working in the way that they should.

There's a pattern to it. After spending time with you and eventually ending up in his sheets, he'll find himself drifting off, and before he knows it, he's actually asleep. A couple hours will pass, and when he wakes up from his nap, you'll be gone.

So, he does his best to stay awake this time around by keeping your weight on his body and locking your lips with his own. A part of his mind scolds him, reminding him that he's privileged to be in a university program that his parents are paying half the tuition for, but another part of his mind tells him to relax, live life, keep kissing the girl on your lap, and do not fall asleep.

"Mm," you moan and smile against his mouth. Placing a hand on his chest, you lean back and take a breath. "Stop thinking about your parents after we just fucked. It's weird."

"My bad." Embarrassment washes over Kuroo as he chuckles awkwardly. He still hasn't got used to your abilities despite seeing you every night. "It was just a random thought that popped into my head. Ignore it."

"I'm trying, trust me," you whisper before leaning in, pecking his lips and climbing off his lap. The blanket over your body shifts as you move, almost revealing your skin underneath.

Kuroo catches it before it can completely fall off the bed. You freeze in place, look at him with wide eyes, then thank him with a grin. "You're welcome," he replies as he tosses the blanket over your hips.

Getting comfortable, you keep one leg draped across his waist. You snuggle closer, pressing up against his side and resting your head on his chest. "You're hot," you mumble, feeling your skin stick to his.

Kuroo is too busy smirking to himself in the dark — she called me hot, he misinterprets — that he doesn't notice that you've thrown the blanket off the edge of the bed. No saving it this time.

Now, warm air and strong arms wrap around your body. "Much better." You listen to Kuroo's heart, a steady beat that lulls you closer to sleep.

He can sense you starting to relax against his body, and there's something about the feel of your weight on him that brings him reassurance. It means that you're real, and that you're actually here.