𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐡𝐚𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐚

»»————««

iii.
h a b r o m a n i a
delusions of happiness.

»»————««

Kuroo fumbles with his keys, the metal nearly slipping from his fingers. He's never brought a girl home before, or at least, he doesn't remember ever bringing one home before.

When he finally has control over his nerves, he unlocks the door. "After you," he says shyly, watching you take a hesitant step inside.

His dorm is small yet cozy. An old kitchenette is to the left, and just across from the stove sits a small dining table with two chairs. The space opens up to his living room where a long grey couch faces a flat screen, along with a coffee table covered in school papers and pencils. There's also a closet to the right, filled with Kuroo's jackets and sweaters, and beside that is a dimly lit hallway leading to a bathroom and his bedroom.

"I know it's not much, but it's been home for the past little while." Kuroo mumbles as he joins you across the living room. Something about his voice sounds insecure, maybe even a little bit embarrassed, but you admire the space — admire how it looks worn in, like he truly loves living here.

The floorboards creak beneath your feet as you walk around. Taking a closer look at the coffee table, you find an open textbook with highlighted pages and sticky notes. You try to picture Kuroo sitting here, studying and just existing in a warm yet lonely looking dorm.

"You must study hard," you read his notes, but none of the words stick to your head. "What's your major?"

"Biochemistry," Kuroo lifts the textbook and flips through a few pages, letting you glimpse at the different labelled images. "I've always been good at science, but I've been thinking of changing majors. Maybe business or management, but I'm not sure yet." He hands you the book. "How about you?"

"Social work, but I don't like it. I'm thinking of switching as well." You show him a small smile. "Let me know what you decide to do, and I'll return the favour." After dropping the heavy book back into his hands, you approach the balcony, all the while trying to ignore the feel of his eyes on you — or maybe not ignore, but enjoy without actually showing it.

The metal handle is cold against your palm. Sliding the door open, you step out and take a look around. The library is just across the square, and it doesn't take long for you to realize that the person who was watching you walk earlier in the night was in fact, Kuroo.

"Is everything okay?" Kuroo asks, joining you in the cold air.

"You were watching me walk to the library earlier," you whisper, just before you turn to meet his eyes. "Am I right, or am I wrong?"

Embarrassingly enough, Kuroo has to nod his head. "You got me there."

"A bit creepy, don't you think?"

"Not a bit. It's extremely creepy," Kuroo has to admit, and he's afraid that you might reconsider your stay and leave. But instead, he's pleased to find you laughing. "It's... funny?"

When you spot his hands dangling awkwardly by his sides, you gently take them in yours, massaging warmth back into his skin. "Not funny. It's cute, just as much as it is creepy."

Kuroo, feeling like he blew his entire shot, looks down at his feet. Is that good or bad?

"It's good." The answer to his unspoken question makes him look back up. He doesn't know if he heard you quite right, or maybe his mind is playing tricks on him. After all, he hasn't had an ounce of sleep in the past twenty-four hours.

He stifles a laugh. "That's funny," he says, trying to ignore the onset of butterflies flooding his stomach. Your hands feel so familiar in his — they feel too familiar, like he's lived this moment before. "It's like you read my mind."

There's a pause. Then, you shrug your shoulders. "I guess I just know you well."

Do you? Kuroo doesn't know what to think anymore, because if he thinks of anything, he now has the unsettling fear that you'll just read his mind. So, he does his best to just think of the present. "I guess so."

You tilt your head, an innocent look that has Kuroo swallowing nervously. "You seem so tense." you whisper as you glance down at your thumbs rubbing slow circles into Kuroo's palms.

He takes a shaky breath — he doesn't know why you have this effect on him, but he recognizes it, and he actually likes it. What once seemed odd is now comforting.

"I have a secret," you lean closer, catching his wide eyes with yours.

And before Kuroo can even form any sensible words, some are already leaving him. "You can read minds."

You mirror his wide eyes, just before you burst out into laughter. "What? No!" More laughter tumbles out of your mouth, a sound that has Kuroo completely caught off guard. It rings deep within him, a sound that's trying to reconnect with a memory that's lost in his subconscious.

He watches you wipe a tear away — happy tears, he hopes — before you catch your breath, and giggle once more. Was it seriously that funny?

"Yup, it was," you answer before taking another deep breath. Laughter bubbles at the back of your throat, but you do your best to keep it in. Your eyes are still watering from the small joke, but Kuroo can't help but wonder how you were able to answer another one of his unspoken questions.

He slides one of his hands out from yours and raises a finger. "See? You did it again." He can't help the small chuckle from heaving his lips. He just can't believe it. "H-how? How'd you do it?"

After a long sigh, you smile at him. "I'm used to finishing your sentences. That's part of my secret." You watch him raise a brow, his breath stuck in his chest. "And, I know you. I've known you for a long time now."

You bring his hand back down, the brush of skin against skin is overwhelmingly familiar to Kuroo's senses. He wants to believe everything that you're saying, but something keeps tugging him back, refusing to let him fall.

The memory of you is right there, now in the front of his mind, and as much as he tries to ponder, tries to fish it out of his subconscious and bring it to light, he just can't. Do I actually know you?

"Yes, you do." You answer him yet again. His heart jumps. "I didn't want to have to tell you like this, but we've lived this night before."

Kuroo finds the courage to use his voice. "We have?"

"Yes, a long long time ago," your voice is soothing, like a dream passing through the night. Kuroo suddenly feels light headed, or maybe it's because he's thinking way too hard to try and connect dots that he can't fully see. "You brought me here for tea. Then, we watched a movie," you chuckle at the one-sided memory, "and the night continued and ended in your bedroom."

Then, in an instant, all of the dots submerge from the dark. He aligns them quickly, and he's finally able to make out the memories, or at least, make out fragments of the memories. You have been here before, and you have been really close to him once before. What happened?

"Looks like you got it now." You tilt your head, trying to meet his averted eyes. Kuroo has to blink a few times, drawing himself out of the deep memory pit he fell into before meeting your gaze.

Even with his head still fuzzy and hazy from the slap of realization, questions still linger in the back of his mind. "Why can't I remember everything about you, but you know everything about me?"

"I guess it takes time," you interlace your fingers with his. Turning on your heel, you take a small step back into the living room, look over your shoulder, and give Kuroo a grin. "Maybe you'll remember more in your bedroom."

He doesn't know if this is all a dream, or an illusion, or a straight up hallucination. But when you tug on his hand, leading him across the living room, down the dark hall, and straight into his bedroom, he finds himself not caring at all.

All he knows is that he's happy.