𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐬

❝ silence ringing inside my head

silence ringing inside my head. please carry me, carry me, carry me home

≫•✯•≪
chapter ten,
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑𝐒

——— ON THE STREETS OF MANHATTAN, Captain America and Thor looked up in the sky, smiling when they saw Iron Man had made it. "Son of a gun!" Captain America exclaimed, impressed.

Tight on Iron Man: he kept falling. And falling. And falling.

"He's not slowing down," Thor said before he began to swing Mjölnir around.

Just as Thor flew up, the Hulk snagged Iron Man out of the air, both crashing and sliding down to a building. Hulk threw Iron Man off of him and onto a destroyed bridge, where Thor and Cap ran over to him.  Thor ripped off Tony's helmet, where he appeared to be dead.

Just then, they heard shouts from a God, a Goddess, and their two new friends,

"Father!"

"Uncle!"

"Daddy!"

"Dad!"

Thor and Cap looked back to find Triston, Lidianna, Emma, and Alexandria running towards them. Thor's eyes slightly widened in relief as Cap kneeled down, hugging his daughter as soon as she ran into him. Triston and Lidianna ran into Thor's arms and he held them tight, his arms wrapped around their shoulders. But as the Asgardians held each other tight, almost possibly knowing it would be the three of them for a while, Emma slowed down her pace, her eyes placed on her father.

"Daddy?" she whispered.

Triston broke his hug from his father to look back at the girl, finding her hovering over her father. He knew she was about to break into tears, that is until the Hulk yelled out in fury, startling Tony awake.

"What the hell!" he snapped before pulling Emma into a tight hug as he sat up, "What just happened? Please tell me nobody kissed me."

Captain America chuckled a bit before looking down at Tony, "We won," he said.

"Alright. Hey. Alright. Good job, guys. Let's just not come in tomorrow. Let's just take a day. Have you ever tried shawarma? There's a shawarma joint about two blocks from here. I don't know what it is, but I wanna try it," Tony told them all before Emma broke her hug from him, "I'm sorry I scared you, baby."

"It's okay. But you proved to me what I've always known — that you always come back," Emma said and Triston grinned at her before looking back at his father and Lidianna. The three shared smiles, knowing smiles. Everything would be different now. Good different, bad different, they didn't know yet. But it was an adventure they were looking forward to.

"Yeah, you're lucky she forgives easily." The three Asgardians turned to find that Emma and Alexandria had broken apart from a hug, the two seemingly friends now.

Triston smiled at them before looking over at Lidianna, finding her sternly gazing up at the Stark Tower, her hair blowing in the air. "We're not finished yet," she said before Triston and everyone else looked up at the tower.

Inside the penthouse, Loki crawled onto the stairs, looking like a piece of a rag doll. He took a few breathers but he sensed someone was behind him. He turned back to find The Avengers staring at him, Emma Stark in the middle, all pissed at him. He stared at them nervously before chucking out a smile. "If it's all the same to you, I'll have that drink now," he said.

≫•✯•≪

——— IT'D BEEN A COUPLE WEEKS since The Battle of New York. New York was still recovering. The people were still recovering. The Avengers were still recovering.

Loki's brainwashed mind eventually faded back to his regular one, Triston gathered, but he pretended he wasn't brainwashed at all. Triston would stand in a room with him for hours with Lidianna, the father and daughter not speaking. The words exchanged between them during his mind's expansion had left scars, Triston knew it. He could see it in their body language. That and...Lidianna had a permanent scar on her stomach from her father's dagger. Loki still acted as if he did that all on his own, which ultimately made his nephew and daughter even more angered. But at least they had each other — not everyone was so fortunate.

Many people on the news didn't like the idea of superheroes, or thought they needed to be held responsible for the damage done:

"Superheroes? In New York? Give me a break!"

"Those so called heroes have to be held responsible for the destruction done to the city. This was their fight. Where are they now?"

"What? That this was somehow their fault? Captain America saved my life. Wherever he is, wherever any of them are, I just wanna say thank you."

Central Park, The Avengers were all gathered together. Triston, Lidianna, and Thor shook hands with everyone while Loki stood behind them, handcuffed and muzzled. Triston watched as Tony open the Tesseract's case and Doctor Banner took it out, placing it inside a glass tube, held by the three Asgardians. They gave Loki the other end, who reluctantly took it. But before an energy bean took them away, Triston shot Emma and Alexandria a look, smiling. They smiled back before he, Lidianna, Thor, and Loki leaped into the energy bean and they were gone.

"Where are the Avengers?"

"I'm not currently tracking their whereabouts. I'd say they've earned a leave of absence."

"And the Tesseract?"

"The Tesseract is where it belongs: out of our reach."

"That's not your call."

"I didn't make it. I just didn't argue with the gods that did."

"So you let them take it and the war criminal, Loki, who should be answering for his crimes? Along with that daughter of his, though it should not matter that she turned a new leaf."

"Oh, I think he will be and she has changed for the better."

"I don't think you understand what you've started. Letting the Avengers loose on this world. They're dangerous."

"They surely are. And the whole world knows it. Every world knows it."

"Was that the point of all this? A statement?"

"A promise."

"Sir, how does it work now? They've gone their separate ways, some pretty extremely far. We get into a situation like this again, what happens then?"

"They'll come back."

"You really sure about that?"

"I am."

"Why?"

"Because we'll need them to."

"Humans..."

They are not the cowering wretches we were promised..."

They stand..."

They are unruly, and therefore cannot be ruled..."

"To challenge them is to court...

Death."