11: Scrutiny

"New girl,"

Roman Augustus' icy eyes drilled into mine as the drawl of his deep voice caused goosebumps to rise all over my arms. Thankfully, they were covered by the sleeves of my hoodie.

My mouth almost opened to let out a biting remark, but I bit down on my lip as my fingers tightened around my books, and I made to walk away instead.

I would not lose my cool today.

But as I made to step away, Roman stepped closer and brought a hand up to rest against my locker, beside my head.

I made to dart through the opening on the other side, and his left hand rose up to rest there too, efficiently trapping me in place.

Irritation, laced with anger welled in my stomach.

"What do you think you're doing?" I bit out between clenched teeth and watched his lips pull into a smirk.

"For a second there, I was wondering if you'd gone mute since our meeting yesterday." His eyes roamed over my face slowly, and it was as if someone was dragging the blade of an icy dagger all over my face.

"Glad to see that that insolent mouth of yours still works,"

I bit down harder on my lip as my fingers balled into fists. I was trying so hard not to kick him in the balls. It was my official first day of school. I wasn't going to allow myself be thrown in detention already.

"How strange," Roman continued in that thick, British-accented drawl of his, eyes fixed unwaveringly on mine. "You were so sharp-tongued yesterday and now you seem unable to speak. What's wrong? Scared since there's no principal Fernsby around to butt in this time?"

He cocked his head to the side, an amused mocking glint in his eyes.

Fuck this. Fuck not wanting to lose my cool. I'd had enough. Anger burned in my throat as I opened my mouth to tell him go fuck himself in the pits of hell, but someone interrupted before I could speak.

"Who's this?" A perky voice asked, and I turned my head to meet one of the creepy twins' gaze. She was the one with piercings.

"Oh wait! Jade? You're the girl who almost beat Roman to a pulp yesterday!" I watched her black lipstick clad lips pull apart into a grin. "Shit! I like you already!"

She shoved Roman aside with effortless ease, and then she was...pulling me into a hug?

What the hell?

I stood frozen in place. Eyes wide as I wondered just how many versions of the story of me bumping into Roman yesterday was floating around the school.

Almost beat him to a pulp? I mean, I definitely wanted to beat the shit out of the guy. But that never happened, and probably never will happen. I had enough self control to let that happen. I think...

"Oh! You smell so good! Is that the new Dior perfume?" The girl asked in that same preppy voice as she released me from the hug. "I'm Aiko, by the way! Captain of the girls' soccer team!" She held a hand out towards me.

I took it tentatively, still in a daze, and I resisted the urge to shiver as her cold, pale hand wrapped around mine.

"You're welcome to try out for the soccer team! I'd love to have you on there!" Aiko continued, still grinning as her eyes scanned me from head to toe surreptitiously.

I was immensely uncomfortable. I'd never been hugged by a stranger like that ever before. I wanted to wrap my arms protectively around myself and go hide in a corner till all the people were gone and I was alone.

"This is my twin sister! Suiko," Aiko continued with an excited grin on her face, and the girl named Suiko simply gave me a tiny nod of acknowledgment before averting her eyes from mine.