#42

-D.F

I clip my hair back with a claw clip and throw on a long jacket that went to my knees. It's heavy and covers most of my boring, mismatched outfit which was the look I was going for. I leave it unzipped so I didn't get too warm. There's a slight brush of makeup on my face, it was just the amount needed for this outfit.

I look in the mirror and scrunch my face. I knew for a fact that I had dressed down, we were going to a fancy art exhibition and here I was wearing a plain black mini-skirt and a white tee shirt. I cringed inside and out at my attempt to make it better with some lip gloss.

I look at my phone and catch a notification from Essence. I click on it and head out of my room in the process.

I scroll through the photos of Spear and the Twins at an event smiling and laughing. Spear had been looking forward to this day all week, he held it against me that I promised a sleepover once he finished his vegetables, I regretted it the moment his dinner plate was cleared.

I walk to the living room and sit down on the couch smiling at my phone. Spear looked so happy that I had to have every photo saved to my camera roll.

When the doorbell rings a few moments later I don't quickly go to open the door. Instead, I sit here with one leg crossed over the other, and the sole intent of making him wait.

I roll my eyes and let out a sigh before realizing how stupid I may seem. I laugh leaves me as I stand and walk towards the door finally.

When I open the door I cross my arms and send Emilio a tight-pressed smile. He stands there with the both of his hands intertwined in front of him. A small smile is on his lips and his eyes scan my frame. I become insecure just from his gaze.

He looks drool-worthy. His outfit is of course ten times more fancy than mine. The all-black suit matched his aura to a tee. Suddenly I became more conscious of how I dressed.

"Let's go." I step forward which causes him to take a step back. I turn around after closing the door and lock it. Once, twice... I turn around to look at him before I do it a third. When I turn back around he steps to the side allowing me to walk down the pathway first. I don't say anything when I pass him.

I stop at his usual grey car and wait for him to unlock it, when I hear the click I open the door quickly and enter, it's warm and smells just like him. I take time to inhale his scent as he walks around the car toward the driver's seat.

When he enters I look away from his side and stare out of the window. The air seems still as the space between us is more confined now. It never felt so awkward to me.

"So, how've you been?" I ask thoroughly to get an answer on where he had taken off to a few days ago. I wanted to bluntly ask but at the same time, it wasn't my place.

"Good," he says placing his hand on the gear. I watch his thumb tap it vastly. After putting on my seatbelt I intertwined my fingers on my lap and look at his face. He starts driving with a clenched jaw. "Listen, I'm really sorry about the other night." He says a few seconds later.

"It's fine" My shoulders loosen and I can't help but chuckle at my words.

"No, it's not. And I know it isn't." He taps the wheel which catches my attention. The pauses in between his sentences kill me as I wait
to hear what he has to say next. "I had someone I had to visit."

When he doesn't specify who I can't help but think of the worst. I shake my head to get rid of my thoughts before I respond to him.

"Oh, so early?" I ask now playing with the ends of my jacket. I don't bother looking at his reaction to save myself from the relentless overthinking.