#23

-D.F

Bill, bill, eviction notice, bank statement, bill, bill, and more bills.

My eyes blurred as wetness started to build up, I went through a pile of mail that I had been putting off till the end of the month. It was inevitable that it'd catch up to me, I just didn't know how bad it was going to be.

I dropped the papers on the counter and grabbed the stack of cash beside it. I counted it while writing down the amounts on the back slowly to make sure I didn't skip any, I needed all the money I could get.

My hands unwillingly shook as I realized how short I was becoming the closer I got to the end of the stack. Soon my cheeks were covered in warm tears that streamed down faster than I could comprehend.

Three hundred short. How was I going to make three hundred by the end of the week? The eviction notice stood out most, the big red letters brought more tears down my face every time I glanced at the pile. I needed that three hundred.

The money fell out of my hands and onto the counter I leaned forwards so my elbows were on the counter and my hands were through my hair, my head pulsed from how hard I was crying.

I needed to stop.

Not a few seconds later I found myself on the floor of my kitchen sobbing uncontrollably. There weren't many times I could do this freely, but with Spear still at Essence's, I couldn't help the feeling from bursting through. It was like a title wave.

From what it looked like, I was going to have no free days for the next month. The three hundred would only cover the house, and the rest of the bills would become overdue along with many others. My freedom, or was left of it was completely ripped away. Was I even going to have time to sleep at this point?

When will I be able to rest?

Though my cries softened and the sobs shaking through my body, I still sat on the floor with my head tucked in between my legs and chest, engulfed by my arms that wrapped around my knees. My head pounded as the weight on it doubled, much like the one on my chest making it harder to breathe.

Spear...

I needed to pick him up.

There wasn't a moment in time when he wasn't in my mind. Everything I did, every movement, every thought, or breath, every part of my existence was devoted to this little human. He was quite literally my world. These bills certainly wouldn't mean this much if he wasn't in my life. I don't think I'd care enough about myself to worry this much, but he deserved better.

Forcing myself to get up shouldn't have been as hard as I made it, but with the pounding severing in my head, I couldn't help the time wasted with how slow I was moving.

I stacked the cash together and folded the papers away in my bag. Just the thought of it made me emotional, but knowing better I stuffed those feelings back down the fresh hole that had just been dumped from my crying fit.

I grabbed my purse and keys and left the house, not before locking the door, once, twice, thrice, just to be sure. You can never be too sure.

I entered the car that looked too good to even be in this neighbourhood with a large sigh.

Breathe Davina. Breathe.

I drove in silence the whole way, my mind ran as fast as the car went which I couldn't stop, no matter how hard I tried.

I sat outside of the large house for a few moments before going in. I liked the Lorenzos, but even then I envied every aspect of their lives. What did they even do to be making such a high income? What did they do to deserve such an amazing life? What did I do to deserve my life?...