Manuel Neuer [~] So Close

For Daisey_the_duck:

                Sitting in the center of the room, you had to hold back tears. You were about to be married, you should be happy right? Well you weren't. You knew you picked the wrong guy, he wasn't your Prince Charming. Problem was, your Prince Charming was also getting married. You thought the pain from that realization is what made you accept your own proposal.

                Here was a party your families were hosting to celebrate the two of you getting married. Looking to the left, you looked sadly at your real Prince Charming. Manuel Neuer, the named rolled straight off your tongue. You quietly admired him. He was everything you ever wanted. He was cute but handsome at the same time. He was athletic but was intellectual as well. He encompassed what the ideal man was to you.

                Looking to your right, sat everything that wasn't your Prince Charming. Your fiancé was rich, handsome, and caring towards you, yes. But you didn't love him. You felt bad for conning him into believing you did. But at the same time, your bitterness overshadowed your basic morals. "Do you want to dance?" your fiancé asked. Plastering a fake smile to your face you accepted the invitation.

                Your fiancé pulled you to the dance floor where other couples were already dancing. Placing his hands on your waist, your fiancé soon swayed to the beat of the slow song. You did to, resting your head on his chest. Surrounding people viewed this as a cute interaction between a soon to be married couple but there was a meaning behind your cuddling.

                When you rest your head on your fiancé's head, you could clearly see Manuel talking to his fiancé. She was beautiful. Tall and elegant is how someone would describe her. Her blond hair was tied back in a beautifully done bun with flowers woven into it. Manuel smiled at his soon to be wife. Why shouldn't he? He was actually marrying someone he loved.

                You had settled for a frog prince. You sighed as Manuel and his fiancé got up to join everyone else on the dance floor. You didn't see where he went so you instead focused on your fiancé. An upbeat song came on over the speakers. Your fiancé was a good dancer, you would give him that, and spun you around. You smiled through the agony and joined in the fast paced dance. After the song ended, the DJ's voice came on over the speakers.

                "Will everyone please pick a partner they did not bring to this dance for the next slow song of the night?" he asked. You separated from your fiancé and went in search for a partner. A tap on the shoulder made you turn around. There, standing in all his glory stood Manuel.

                "May I have this dance?" he smiled, bowing. You smiled and agreed. As the next song was supposed to be a ballroom song, you connected one pair of hands with Manuel. Your other hand rested on his shoulder. His other hand rested on your waist. It felt natural to stand with Manuel like that whereas when you were with your fiancé, you felt awkward.

                "The title of this song is So Close," the DJ stated before playing the song. You instantly smiled. You loved this song. As the notes spun through the room, you and Manuel followed the crowd. You smiled as he almost stepped on your foot. He smiled back. No words needed to be spoken, your bodies did the talking.

                You swayed to the beat, each smiling like crocodile. It felt natural, it felt right. You could feel everyone's eyes on your backs, including your fiancés, who had been dancing together. You two ignored them and only focused on each other. The song continued and as it did, the passion in your dancing increased. You and Manuel locked eyes the entire time.

                The song started to come to a close. The distance between you and Manuel had decreased. Your mouth agape, Manuel held back his wishes to kiss you right then and there, in front of everyone. You two, dazing out of the passion, pulled away. "Thanks for the dance, Manu," you stated, your fiancé coming up behind you, holding you by the waist.

                "The pleasure was all mine," Manuel replied, wrapping an arm around his fiancé's waist. The two couples split.

                "Are you okay? You look pale," you fiancé asked.

                "Yeah, I'm fine. I'll just be in the restroom," you stated before walking away. Pushing open the door to the bathroom, you stared at your reflection. You seemed paler than normal, you looked different in general. You looked hopeless, like someone had ripped away all you loved. "They did," you thought bitterly. Washing your face quickly, you mentally prepared yourself before exiting the bathroom.

                A hand pulled you further into the hallway. You were about to scream when a familiar voice spoke. "(Y/N), it's me, Manu," the voice whispered.

                "Manu? What are you doing?" you asked, keeping your voice hushed.

                "You felt it right?"

                "What are you talking about?"

                "You felt that connection we had on the dance floor, right? You wanted to kiss me."

                "Manu, that is ridiculous. We're both about to be married, we should be getting back to our fiancés," you sighed.

                "I love you," Manuel stated. You turned around and started at him.

                "What?" you gasped.

                "I love you, (Y/N). Nothing can ever stop me from loving you. What the hell were we thinking? All this time, we were with the wrong people," Manuel said.

                "Manu, I love you too, but we just can't do this," you replied.

                "You love me," Manuel smirked.

                "Yes I do, more than I can ever put into words but we're both about to get married to different people, remember?"

                "Forget about that, forget about them. I love you and you love me, isn't that what is most important?" Manuel responded.

                "Kiss me," you stated. "Kiss me and take me away from here before I can logically process this," you sighed. Manuel connected your lips. You kissed back. The passion was intense and for once, you felt like you were with the right man. "Take me away, Prince Charming."

                "Will do, Princess, will do."

A.N. Inspired by "So Close" in the movie Enchanted.