one

Taylor Peters was a planner. She was always on time, never even one minute late. She was always prepared for everything. Always had an extra pencil, or a spare hair tie you could borrow. If you returned it, that is. 

So of course when P.J. Duncan came in seven minutes late to their tutoring session, and without so much as a scrap of paper, Taylor was more than a little annoyed. 

"Seriously, you've known about this for three weeks. Do you even know what you're here to study?" The girl asked the boy as she set a perfectly sharpened pencil and piece of lined paper in front of him. 

"I didn't mean to blow it off, I just thought we were meeting in the library." He defended himself. 

"We're in the library right now." 

Taylor didn't push it any further, though she could now see why the boy was in such dire need of a tutor. 

Peer tutoring was a typically a Senior-only job, but Taylor had taken so many Senior classes that she had been allowed to take on the role as a Junior. The idea was that older students who excelled in one subject, could help a younger one who needed a little extra help in that area. 

Or in P.J. Duncan's case, a lot of help in pretty much every area. 

"I thought we'd start with Biology, you have a test coming up soon." 

"What, oh yeah. A big one." The boy was taken out of his daydream of what snack he'd be preparing himself if he were home right now, and snapped back to the reality that was how he'd really be spending his afternoon. 

Although, he had to admit, if he had to spend two hours every Tuesday and Thursday with the girl sitting in front of him, maybe the next two months wouldn't be so bad after all. 

The two hour session passed fairly quickly, and P.J. had retained enough information to feel confident he'd get a C on the test. Maybe even a C+. 

P.J. watched as Taylor got into her car and drove off. He racked his brain to try and remember the girl, but he couldn't. He knew she was in his grade, and most likely had been for the past eleven years, but somehow he couldn't quite place her. 

Maybe it was because Taylor spent he lunch hours in the library. Or maybe it was because Taylor didn't play any sports, and nobody shows up to the Mathletes competitions. Or maybe it was because, up until now, the two had never crossed paths. Maybe now the universe was finally putting them together. 

Of course, P.J. wished that he didn't have to spend their time together doing math problems and memorizing formulas, but he figured with his boyish charm they'd be dating by next month. 

As Taylor pulled into her driveway that night, her mind was filled with a lot of thoughts, as it so often was. Even with the thousands of places her mind was going, it did not travel to the blonde boy who didn't know the difference between there, their, and they're.