Chapter 42: You're reason for letting the world end is 'why not'

Lucifer Rising 1

"Dean?" Bobby asks. "Dean. You listen to a word I said?"

"Yeah, I heard you." Dean kept staring out the window of Bobby's living room, keeping his back facing him and Alexis. "I'm not calling him."

"Don't make me get my gun, boy." 

Dean turns to face him. "We are damn near kickoff for Armageddon. We got bigger fish at the moment."

"I know you're pissed and I'm not making apologies for what he's done. But he's your--"

"Blood? He's my blood? Is that what you're gonna say?"

"He's your brother and he's drowning."

"Bobby, I tried to save him. I did. Look what happened."

"So, try again."

Dean shook his head, walking across the room to Alexis. "No, it's too late." He argues, bringing his fingers up to brush the bruise on the side of her head. She gave him a small smile, trying to tell him it was okay.

"There's no such thing." Bobby counters. 

"No, damn it." Dean yells, looking at Bobby. "No." He says his voice calm again. "We gotta face the facts. Sam never wanted a part of this family. He hated this life growing up. Ran away to Stanford first chance he got. Now it's like déjà vu all over again." Dean says. Alexis slipped her hand into his, squeezing as he sat down on the couch beside her. "Well, I am sick and tired of chasing him. Screw him. He can do whatever he wants."

"You don't mean that." Bobby states. 

"Dean--" Alexis began, her words dying as she realized she didn't know how to help him. 

"Yes, I do, Bobby." Dean nods, looking up at the older hunter. "Sam's gone. He's gone. I'm not even sure if he's still my brother anymore...If he ever was."

Bobby sighs, pushing off the desk and turning around. A few seconds pass before Bobby shoves everything on the desk to the floor. He turns to Dean, stepping toward him. Dean stood as well. "You stupid, stupid son of a bitch." Bobby yells. "Well, boohoo, I am so sorry your feelings are hurt, princess. Are you under the impression that family's supposed to make you feel good? Bake you an apple pie, maybe? They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why their family!"

"Guys." Alexis sighs, standing up.

"I told him, 'You walk out that door, don't come back.' And he walked out anyway. That was his choice." Dean argues. 

"You sound like a whiny brat." Bobby says. Dean pushes past Bobby and walks toward the window. "No. You sound like your dad. Well, let me tell you something. Your dad was a coward."

Dean turns to Bobby. "My dad was a lot of things, but a coward?"

"He'd rather push Sam away than reach out to him. Well, that don't strike me as brave." Bobby says. "You are a better man than your daddy every was. So do us both a favor. Don't be him." 

Dean turned to the window. 

Alexis stepped toward him, setting a hand on his back. "Dean, Bobby's right." She tells him. "You're so much better than John was. Don't throw that away now. You can't." 

Dean turned when her touch disappeared. Instead of being in Bobby's living room, he was in a white room with gold trim and paintings covering the walls. He took a few steps forward.

"Hello, Dean." Cass's voice sounds out behind him. "It's almost time."

~~~