Chapter 22: "Marie"

Start from the beginning

"I was so worried! Is a message too much to ask ?!"

"Apparently, yes," he laughed. "Sorry, we didn't mean to make you worried."

I bow down.

"Sorry..."

I don't see James ... I mean we're a little earlier than usual. And he might be still sleeping. Maybe he had to deal with Lyndsey's nightmare last night. Rebecca shrugs and Liam runs to me. 

"It's okay, I forgive you two. Are you staying with us today, 'Marie'?"

That's a good question. Am I? I need to see James...and this weird feeling is still here-

"Yep, she's staying," says Silver. "Right, 'Marie'?"

"Ye-yes, I am. At least today."

Liam smiles happily and hugs me. I thought I could never get used to his hug but I was wrong. When he lets go, Max starts to talk about the next competition - James isn't part of it- Silver and I walk closer to the group. He didn't let go of my hand and ... for now, I don't mind. It warms my heart... 

Later, the bell rang but I didn't see James. I head to class with Rebecca and Silver. He's probably late, maybe he overslept. Yeah, he will be there at lunch. The history teacher talked about some war that happened but I didn't listen. 

"So how are you? I was worried when James called me..." Ask Rebecca.

I look at her. 

"Did you get some sleep? Even if it's in Silver's household."

"Thanks to him and his family, I was able to sleep. It was very nice." 

"So nice that you guys became friends? Or did you lose a bet that forced you to stay with us today?"

I shuffle a laugh.

"Ah, at least, your smile is back. Silver did a good job for once."

She smiled and we talked for the rest of the morning. At lunch break, we eat with the other but no sign of James. Where is he? I can't ask Lucie because she's with her friend and I don't know where they are. Is he sick? Or maybe it's Lyndsey. I probably traumatized her with my advice of chasing the spirit. He doesn't skip school unless something happens. 

" 'Marie'? Are you okay?" Ask Silver, waving his hand in front of my eyes. 

I probably ignored their conversation for too long and- Oh, la ferme 'Marie'. 

"Pardon faut que je rentre."

"What-?" 

"I'm going home," I says -screaming a little- as I walk away. 

Thankfully, no one tries to stop me. I don't feel like explaining how I feel a second time. Maybe James is with Lucie and didn't want to be with us today. Maybe I'm just wrong but I don't want to wait the end of the day to know. My phone is dead -I didn't charge it last night- and I don't feel like texting him. Feel a little disrespectful after how I ignored him yesterday. I pretended to sleep, seriously? Who does that?

"Yeah, that's really disrespectful 'Marie'. "

Oh yeah, you're here.

"I'm always here." 

"Shut up. Leave me alone. I have better things to do."

"Like what? Apologising for your behavior? Girl, who cares? It's not like we'll stay here. We're not from here and we don't belong here. James and the others aren't your real friends, you know?"

I stare at her. 

"What? Believe it or not, your real friends are in France."

"You know if they were looking for me, it would've been settled a long time ago. It doesn't take six months and a half to do some research. So maybe, your friends aren't so real." 

"You-"

"Now disappear or at least shut up."

I open the house door. It's not locked so someone is home but who? Probably Lyndsey. I close the door behind me and explore the house. 

"James?" I ask. 

No response. I sigh, I don't even know what to say. Let's just check on Lyndsey. I walk to the first floor and open Lindsey's room. Uh she's not here too? Then why was the door open? Something is wrong...I don't see my stuff in the room. My board is still here, thankfully but the rest disappeared. 

" 'Marie'? You're here."

What-? I turn around and see James. 

"James? Are you okay? Why aren't you at school? And Lyndsey, where is she?"

"Everyone is fine, thank you 'Marie'. And you, how are you?" 

What? How am I? I'm feeling better now I know. My stomach doesn't hurt anymore. 

"I'm feeling...good and relieved, I guess."

He walks closer to me. 

"I'm sorry for everything that happened this week. I thought I could be like an older brother to you but I'm not really good at it. I just ... listen, 'Marie' you are like my little sister. I feel responsible of you and I don't think I could have forgiven myself if something happened to you yesterday."

He started to cry and my throat hurt more. I pass my hands in his back and do my hug. 

" I see you as my older brother, James. And Lyndsey is like my older sister. I just never thought you'd feel the same because...I'm a random person with no memories. "

He hug me back.

"You're not some random person. You are Marie Miller, the last sibling of our family." 

Hearing those words warms my heart but I burst into tears. I can't help myself but it's starting to be too much in two days. I feel like a weight has just been lifted off my chest and it feels good. I can't describe what I'm feeling. All I know is that: I am home. I just won't let go not now ... or never.