2 ~ Practice

Shuhua's POV 🐺🤎

"So I have to put my hand here for this step, and turn my leg this way for this step..." I muttered as I reviewed the dance steps for the choreography I'm currently practicing for.

In the dance studio, Soojin and Soyeon were there too. Over the months, we've started getting closer as we practiced dancing together. I've also paid more attention during my Korean classes so that I can start properly conversing with them. Now, at least I can form more sentences with a wider range of vocabulary.

Looking at Soyeon and Soojin dancing, I've observed that both are amazing dancers in their own ways. Soyeon has a sharper, cleaner and charismatic dancing style from her ballet and street dance history, while Soojin dances smoothly and sensually from her jazz history.

I wish I could dance as well as them... It's been a few months since my first monthly evaluation so the expectation for the next one is higher, but I can't seem to improve as much as I want.

During my first evaluation, I thought my dance routine was sufficient to please the instructor. However, after seeing what Soyeon prepared, I knew mine paled in comparison. I mean of course it would, and it was my first evaluation so I didn't know how high the standards were and I didn't feel too bad about it. The instructor that day also gave me the benefit of doubt since I was new but told me to practice and prepare better for the next one.

But even though I prepared hard with songs and better dance routines for the next few evaluations, the feedback I received were never as good as expected.
"Your pronunciation is off."
"Your voice is strained and you can't reach the high notes well."
"Your dance moves aren't energetic enough."
"You have a pretty face but you need more to be an idol."

These criticisms kept flashing through my mind as I practiced my choreography. Looking at my pathetic self in the mirror, I just burst into tears mid-dance and sat on the floor sobbing.

Soojin's POV 🦋💙

I was in the middle of practicing my 7 Rings choreography when I heard sobbing from the other side of the room. Shocked, I turned to see Shuhua crying on the floor. Soyeon who was practicing beside me was shocked as well.

"What happened Shuhua??" We said as we rushed over to comfort her.

"How did I even get accepted to be an idol? I can't sing nor dance! I've practiced so much but I'm still not as good as y'all..."

"Hey hey, don't worry too much about that. Everyone learns at their own pace and you've only been here for a short while." I said while patting her back.

"Yea Shuhua! You can't compare yourself to us since we have learnt dance before. Besides, Soojin and I have been trainees way longer than you so it would be weird if we're still bad." Soyeon added while patting her head.

Shuhua chuckled softly at that. "Really unnies?"

We nodded. "You just need to consistently practice and improve your skills little by little. Rome wasn't built in a day after all." I said.

"Ya, how about we spent some time teaching you some dance basics and also the point moves for your choreography. I'm almost done with my practice anyways." Soyeon added. As expected, Soyeon was always kind and helpful. Being her best friend, I always saw leadership qualities in her while still being humble and respectful. People tend not to approach her due to her overwhelming charisma, but they fail to see how sweet and friendly she is.

"Really? Y'all are willing to help me?" Shuhua perked up and her tears stopped. After seeing our enthusiastic nods, Shuhua finally smiled and stood up. "Thank you so much!! I will learn as best as I can!"

Shuhua's POV 🐺🤎

I can't believe Soojin and Soyeon were so nice and helpful to even teach me how to dance! Both of them took turns to teach me dance techniques as well as tips and tricks to boost my performance. Learning how to make my dance moves flow smoothly from Soojin and how to maintain a charismatic expression while performing from Soyeon really did wonders to my dance routine.

Halfway through, Soyeon had to leave for a songwriting session. "Bye guys! I still have some songs I haven't finished writing. Also keep it up Shuhua, you've improved a lot!"

"Thank you so much Soyeon unnie! And good luck for your song recording!" I replied as she waved to me from the door. I did think she was scary at first from my first impression, but she's actually really nice.

For another 2 hours, Soojin stayed with me and continued to teach me dance. She would always add in encouragement in between to cheer me up. Eventually, she had to leave too.

"I think you've done great today Shuhua! I'm kinda tired so I'll go back to the dorm now. What about you?"

"Oh I think I'll continue practicing here! Thank you so much for spending time with me and teaching me so much! Have a good rest unnie!"

"Really? Ok then, remember to take breaks and drink water. See you next time!"

Soojin closed the door to the dance studio and I resumed my practice alone with a stronger determination. After all, I can't waste their kindness and efforts in teaching me.