Chapter 45 - Crying on the Dancefloor

Featured Lyrics:

Featured Lyrics:

It's not easy to be somewhere that you never dreamed to be
To be open is probably the hardest thing

All the people in a room I didn't know
All around me, I began to let it go

Well, I thought that I could keep myself together
But I fell apart when you walked through the door
And now my eyes are looking like the weather
I'm crying on the dancefloor

I looked at you and felt that for a moment
Thought of all the ways that it's not anymore
It's not the moment that I would've chosen
But now I'm crying on the dancefloor

Would you believe me if I told you that you never left my mind?
I keep repeating those words that you did not decide, no

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Three Years Ago

You sat at a table underneath a secret  stairwell in the corner of the science building. There was a window that was large enough for a trickle of sunlight to cascade into the small space. In front of you was a large textbook and a scramble of notes. Although it was already your third year of university, the amount of studying and work you had to do never seemed to get easier.

You didn't mind the stress, it meant spending more time with the one person who seemed to melt those anxieties away with just a simple touch.

He sat across from you, head deep in the job offerings page of the local newspaper. In front of him was his own set of a textbook and notes, untouched since you sat down.

Using your pencil to bring down the crease of the newspaper to reveal his face, you tilted your head at him. "Colt, you should be studying."

"You're right, you're right...I'm just getting worried about finding a job. I just have no idea what I should choose," he lamented, dreading the reality of being too successful in his field and having too many options before him.

Because Colt was a year above you, he was set to graduate in a few months. Graduation meant a competitive job market was waiting for him.

"I could work with Dr. Jaeger as a Teaching Assistant. Do some field research? You know, he offered to introduce me to his dad. Oh! Maybe I could just do a master's?"

You chuckled scornfully, "Seems like you'll be pretty busy..." You took your pencil to your notebook to scribble incoherent lines in the corner.

Colt paused and looked at you carefully. "Yeah...I guess I will be. But I'm sure you will be too. The last year in university is usually the hardest."

You found yourself feeling unusually frustrated. Was it directed at yourself, at Colt?

Placing your pencil that you were previously fiddling with on the table, you looked at Colt who had already turned back to the newspaper. You had only been dating for two years now. Granted, it was the longest romantic relationship you had ever been in. But there were still many things that you were learning to balance.