Chapter 36 - Absolutely Smitten

Featured Lyrics:

Featured Lyrics:

She knows this feeling all too well
She feels her heart begin to swell
Handsome stranger, you have made her insides turn to jelly

But it's too late, she believes in fate
She's absolutely smitten, she'll never let you go

That girl just there, yes, she's the one
With Cupid's arrow in her bum
Handsome stranger, you have made her happy
The first in a long time

Did you just whisper in her ear?
Words she only dreamed to hear?
Pretty lady, look at how he's smiling
I think he likes you

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

There were many ways you could have spent the end of the semester. How you could have stayed in your dorm, curled up and spiralling. How you could have stayed sober for the weekend, fully knowing that nothing good was going to come from drinking. Despite all that, you sat on a dusty couch in a low-lit living room as the mix of vodka and cranberry juice in your hand turned warm from your body heat. You had been to a few of these types of parties before, tagging along with Annie to be briefly introduced to her friends. You always felt like an intruder, struggling to keep up with the "remember whens" and "you had to be there".

Somewhere deep inside you thought they could be a good replacement. Somewhere even deeper you just missed your friends.

You wondered just how much a group of people could talk, how little you had to say. There wasn't any dancing, any loud music, any rowdy people spilling out onto the front yard. Just pods of people talking. You looked around the room, taking in the cheap furniture and kitschy decorations that only a broke college student could afford. There was a vague smell of smoke and hotdogs that wafted in the air.

You were taking laboured sips from your cup, gagging down the contents that had turned as warm as the air. Deciding that it was better to be rid of the foul liquid sooner rather than later as you threw your head back to swallow in one gulp. Crunching the red solo cup in your hands, you finally stood up after what felt like hours of silent brooding.

You hadn't realized just how effective many little sips of vodka had on your system. You felt yourself crumbling and mumbling as you slithered your way through the small crowd. Finding yourself in the kitchen, you sloppily poured yourself another drink that was an unknown ratio of vodka and cranberry juice. The smell alone made you want to gag, but at least the familiar taste was somewhat comforting. There wasn't any music playing, but the liquid courage coursing through your veins made you want to dance, save for the looks that were coming your way. Your half-lidded gaze and shallow panting invited judgemental glances from the side.

"Who the hell is that?"

"She's totally fucked up."

"What the fuck is she doing?"