Happy Birthday Ruby!

Sapphire knew she had to do something special for Ruby's birthday. That might seem obvious, but she listened to Ruby say that "Anything you do will make me happy" for a whole month, so she felt like she was getting gaslit into thinking that she didn't need to do anything special. But she had to because this wasn't just his birthday, but also the first day they met. Plus she knew Ruby would do something special for her birthday so why shouldn't she? The reason is that if Ruby caught her doing something like this he would tell her all about how anything would be a great gift if it was from her, so the risk was obviously too high. Sapphire was gonna do this without having to listen to Ruby's bull crap. She was going to give him an unforgettable gift, she was gonna bake him a cake.

Sapphire woke up early in the morning, 5:30 to be exact. She needed to make sure Ruby didn't come to her house while she was baking. She got out the ingredients she bought yesterday to make the batter. She stirred the ingredients carefully, or as careful as Sapphire could be. About 20% of the batter spilled onto the counter, and Sapphire thought she might as well try some. She scooped some onto her pinky, then licked it. It tasted normal, maybe she would cook an edible dish! As Sapphire kept whisking she looked out the window to see Ruby. Sapphire stared in confusion. I woke up early in the morning to avoid him, so why the hell is he already up? She thought. She ducked down and waited for him to leave. Once he did Sapphire went back to cooking. Sapphire was ready to pour the batter into the mold she noticed a problem.

Sapphire: What the heck? Why does my cake look so...wimpy?

The cake batter was just a little above the halfway mark on the mold. Maybe she spilled more than 20% of the batter.

Sapphire: I can't give Ruby this wimpy ass cake! But if I don't give him a cake what am I supposed to give him?

Sapphire was stumped on what to do so she got on her phone and called the person who makes reasonable choices.

Sapphire: Emerald I need ya help.

Emerald: What do you need help with now? Ruby trying to stuff you in a dress again?

Sapphire: Nah, none of that. I'm trying to make a cake for Ruby, and I have a lotta batter missin'. If I bake the cake it'll be too small. Any ideas on what to make instead?

Emerald: Just make the small cake, Ruby won't care.

Sapphire: I can't! It'll look weird, and I can't give Ruby anything that ain't up to my standards.

Emerald: Well if you care that much just make a bunch of smaller cakes.

Sapphire: Like cupcakes?

Emerald: Sure, like cupcakes.

Sapphire: Thanks Emerald! Also, could ya go end fetch the frostin' for me?

Emerald: All right. Wait, why are you even making a gift for Ruby? Is this a special day or something?

Sapphire: W-wait do ya not know?

Emerald: Know what?

Sapphire: Uh...Emerald, it's Ruby's birthday.

Emerald: Huh...crap.

After that Sapphire hung up and let Emerald get the frosting. Lucky for Sapphire her house also had cupcake molds, as Sapphire was into this baking stuff when she was a child. As Sapphire baked Emerald went to a store for the frosting, and as he went he saw a familiar face.

Emerald: Is that Ruby?

Emerald saw Ruby, standing at a shop tapping his feet. He knew that if Ruby saw him Sapphire's surprise would be ruined. Emerald quickly swiped the frosting and ran to the checkout. Meanwhile, at Sapphire's house, she put the mold in the oven to bake. Now all she had to do was meet up with Ruby, which seems simple until you see Sapphire staring at her phone, rewriting the same sentence multiple times.

Sapphire: Why the heck is this so gosh darn hard?!? I keep typin' but the sentence just don't feel right. THIS IS SO STUPID!!! You know what, no more of this nonsense. All I have to do is set a location and a time. 

Sapphire typed out the time and location and sent the text. Now she had to wait until the cupcakes were ready, so she waited. Then the time arrived, Sapphire went to their secret base and sat down, but she heard a voice. She looked around and saw Ruby.

Ruby: Hey, I came early.

Sapphire: Course ya did, neat freak.

Ruby: Now's not the time for insults.

Sapphire: I know. Anyway I called ya here cause-

Ruby: Actually I'll go first.

Sapphire: What the...go first?

What could Ruby have meant by go first? Sapphire didn't know so the best she could do was wait and see.

Ruby: Sapphire I came up for a surprise for you, on this special day...HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Ruby pulled out a bouquet of roses labeled for Sapphire.

Sapphire: What?!? Happy anniversary? We ain't married! 

Ruby: But it was the moment we fell in love!

Sapphire: That was when we fought Groudon and Kyogre! When I confessed!

Ruby: No, I could tell it was love at first sight.

Sapphire: Guess I can't deny that.

Sapphire held the bouquet in her hands. She couldn't help but grin ear to ear.

Sapphire: How'd ya get this?

Ruby: It was pretty simple. I woke up early to avoid you seeing me walking to the store. Then I waited for the bouquet, the store owner took so forever  to get it.

Sapphire: Huh...well I set up a surprise too! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Then Sapphire finally held out her cupcakes.

Sapphire: I was originally gonna bake a cake but I mighta spilled too much batter.

Ruby: Giving me a gift for my birthday...are you serious? I told you not to get me anything.

Sapphire: ARE YOU SERIOUS?!? I'm gonna beat the crap outta ya you piece of sh-

Ruby: But I'm still really glad you made me this for me.

Then Sapphire calmed down. They exchanged gifts and stared at them in awe. Just as Sapphire was about to leave the cave Ruby stopped her. 

Ruby: Hey don't leave! How about you stay at my house for a while?

Sapphire: Sure!

So Ruby and Sapphire walked back, each other's gift in hand. Glad that the other cares so much about them.

A/N Hallelujah baby! The great return! A little late, but I'm just glad I'm back to writing. Btw if anyone's wondering nails and bats isn't dead or anything, I'm just trying to make it the best it can be. See you all when Sapphire's birthday comes up!