Chapter 1. The Party

Third Person POV

Gunshots filled the air of the venue hall. The masked man came in from the kitchen, main door, and outside.

They came in guns drawn shooting everyone they could. They took out the lights and guarded the doors so that no one could run.

The Bertinelli family was shocked at first. but quickly reacted.

William grabbed his gun from his back waistband and started shooting at the masked men. He ducked down behind a table hiding behind the tablecloth popping up to take a few shots.

He looked around for his children and other family members. He saw Oliver and his father being behind a pillar taking shots in opposite directions.

He looked over to see his sons Levi and Milo hiding behind the overturned dessert table. Wiliam took a shot over the table at a man shooting him in the head.

Riley was standing in the corner with Ashton talking when the chaos began. Ashton dragged Riley down in a crouch covering her head as he looked around. Seeing the chaos he tried to lead her to a safer place.

While he looked around, someone took advantage and shot at him. He dropped down again as Rikey screeched and started to cry.

Ashton pulled her closer to him and got her up and started to pull her over to a pillar where his Dad was standing.

Dimitri too was shooting back and saw what his youngest was doing and started to provide cover for him. Ashton to get him and Riley over to the pillar. He instructed Rikey to sit on the floor between the two.

"Ashton, try to see if you can, what is happening?" his dad told him. He only nodded and started to look slightly out, looking for his family, Riley's family, and the shooters.

"Who are they?" he asked his dad and he grabbed Riley's shaking hand.

"I have no idea. Do you see your brothers?"

"No." Ashton's heart broke a little knowing his brothers were in danger.

"Ashton." he looked down toward the small voice of Riley who was still laying at his feet. He bent down to be at eye level with the now crying girl.

"what's happening?" her broken voice asked him.

"I don't know." he shook his head looking around.

Ashton looked toward his dad asking for what to do. Dimitri looked around before motioning for his son to stay low and in place before he left making his way around the hall.

Ashton nodded and hugged Riley closer to him. Her whole body as he tried to keep her calm.

"Riley, we have to try and get to the cars," Ashton told her. She shook her head in fear.

"I- I can't."

"Yes, you can. We have to. I don't have a gun, it's only a chance." she continued to shake her head thinking that she couldn't even stand on her own at this point let alone run.

"Riley, look at me." she looked at him through her tears. "I will protect you but you have to trust me. Can you do that?"

She thought for a second before nodding. He grabbed her hand tightly and brought her up first. He looked out from behind the pillar to see no one directly looking over there.

He held her hand and moved with her so that she was closest to the wall and furthest from the gun-wielding men. He led them towards the door a few dozen feet away before a bullet shot the wall in front of him and a sheik of pain was heard from beside him.