Chapter 50

Sade's POV:

Sade's POV:

"So....when you leave...we're broken up-" I released a breath I didn't realize I'd been holding as she spoke. "Officially...." My head turned against the passenger seat and I looked out of the window, trying to reel in my tears. "And we won't see each other again-"

"Yes we will Lauren, don't say that-"

"But you don't know that Sade!"

"And you don't know that we won't!"

I faced forward, feeling her eyes on me before she mirrored my position, sniffling. If I looked at her right now, I'd crumble, so looking at this dashboard will do.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell," Lauren muttered.

Keeping my gaze on the garage entrance at the front of my house, I reached across the armrest to grab her hand. My girlfriend squeezed it as soon as I interlaced our fingers. "I know, it's okay."

Silence then fell, and the sound of our sniffles and Adele's 'Make You Feel My Love' playing at a low volume was the only thing filling it.

My eyes trailed to my lap as I picked at my cuticles with my free hand. "What's the time difference...between England and Tallahassee?"

Lauren drew a breath. "About five hours, maybe six if I remember correctly."

I could feel her eyes on me but my refusal remained intact.

A squeeze took my hand. "We can do long distance Sade," she said in a plead, just barely above a whisper. I quickly shook my head,

"No, I'm not doing that to you-"

"You're not doing anything to me! I'm insisting that it's what I want!"

At her words, I somehow found myself facing her with purpose. "Lauren, no. You don't need m-"

"What makes you think you can tell me what I need, Sade?! That I can't decide that for myself?" She was now facing me as well, tears welling up in her eyes as she spoke. I couldn't do anything but shake my head and face the window again. "I'm telling you that I don't want this to end-" Lauren shook our hands, emphasizing the 'this,' "that I don't want us to end. Yet you're so adamant about it, like that's it. End of discussion."

I quickly glanced at my girlfriend, immediately feeling awful for the defeated look in her face and tone.

"It's not like that Lauren-"

"Then please tell me what it's like. Because it seems to me that what you want is to just break up-"

"No. Don't do that, don't put words in my mouth. I told you why I thought we should."

"Yet it's not reason enough."

A frustrated sigh escaped my lips as I finally met her gaze, tears threatening to spill from my eyes as well.