Chapter 2

Lauren's POV:

So the first day of school was yesterday and honestly...I'm not sure how to feel. I was pretty lonely for most of the day even though somehow 'everyone' was talking about me as if they knew me. I didn't really make many friends despite my reluctant efforts to be friendly and at least try to talk to people.

I'm trying the whole 'fake it til' you make it' ordeal this year in an attempt to have a somewhat decent senior year. Given yesterday, I don't know how that'll go.

I just moved here to Florida from Berlin, Germany about one month ago. My mom is in the military so I've been moved around a lot for most of my life. Thank God for my dad though because he's so supportive and attentive to me given my absent mother. I don't resent her or anything for it. I just miss her a lot, but my dad tries his best to do what he can and I love him for that.

Leaving Germany after living there for 3 years was hard because it's the longest I've stayed in one place my entire life, even though I was originally born there. My mom is Egyptian and my dad is German. I lived in the U.S. for most of my childhood as I bounced from state to state. My mom has been in the military for most of my life so it made me and my dad grow close over the years. We have a relationship, but she's more like my distant aunt that I see three times a year than she is my mother. But instead of being the child that gives her a hard time about it, I've chosen to accept it and appreciate that she's stayed alive this long for me to even say that I have a mother.

Getting ready for school this morning, I went with light makeup, a messy claw clip hairstyle, and gold jewelry. For my outfit, I chose to wear black oversized cargo pants with a white cropped cami and an oversized nascar letterman jacket. I paired it with my panda dunks.

While getting dressed, I couldn't help but think of the girl I met yesterday. Stunning wasn't even the word, and that shape on her, good lord. I was completely taken aback by the entire aura she possessed. The smell that lingered as she walked by, the adorable smile that she had yet barely showed, the way she radiated the most caring and beloved energy.

Even though I could tell she preferred to come across as unapproachable, I feel as though I could see right through it. I just hoped I was right, and if she was mean, I wanted to be her exception.

~ At School ~

The first few days of school are always so weird to me, especially as a new kid. Everyone knows each other considering we're all seniors, yet those who're still single are scouting out who they want to pursue for the first semester. Apparently I'm a fan favorite this year.

Yesterday I had about five guys say something like 'aye what's yo name' or 'where you from' or 'you got a boyfriend?' Like first of all, ew. And second, they weren't even attractive enough for me to entertain them. Germany definitely has one up on the U.S. as far as boys go for sure.

I'd been walking to third block with music humming through my AirPods while thinking about what I wanted to get for lunch. I don't know, I think I'm in the mood for a milkshake, maybe a burger? Eh, we'll see.

"Hey girl hey," Hunter exclaimed while catching up to me, thus pulling me from my thoughts.

I guess you could say she's the one 'friend' I did make yesterday, but she seems like she's friends with everyone so I'm not sure if it counts. She's cool though.

"Hunter, hey." I looked over my shoulder to her on the side of me.

"Who's your homeroom?"

"Uh, Thompson I think," I answered. "Why?"

"Oh nothing, I was just wondering if you minded me joining you sense my homeroom is boring and no one cute is in there-" she rested her head on my shoulders while looking up at me with pleading eyes.