𝓪𝓬𝓽 𝓼𝓲𝔁𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓷-𝓽𝓸𝓷𝓰𝓾𝓮

Raella didn't even spare Aemond a glance as she stood between Rhaenyra and Daemon across the hall. Her hands were flat on her stomach. She lifted her chin high looking at the iron throne... And Otto on it. She wrinkled her nose in disgust. Hightower on the Iron Throne, adjudicating Targaryen. Slander.
"Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with the grim task of dealing with succession of Driftmark. As Hand I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters."

Her husband, on the other hand, watched her all the time. A black dress with a red top was a confirmation of what she had shouted in their chambers. He didn't take his eyes off the hand on his stomach. He will become a father. He didn't know if he was shocked or just terrified of the prospect. He knew it was going to happen, but he didn't expect it so soon. Did his sister or Daemon know? He turned to Otto. He stood between his siblings on the other side. Aegon was bored, and Helaena tried not to look bored. In fact, she was probably in her own world where everything was perfect and she wasn't standing in the hall listening to family arguments.

The girl saw pride in her husband's eyes. Pride in having publicly raised the issue of Rhaenyra's heirs. The fact that her brother's birth and right to the throne had been questioned pleased him. It filled him with fulfillment. He still held grudges from the past, especially his childhood. Lucerys taking his eye away and how he didn't suffer the consequences. He was petty. Blinded by blind faith in the goodness of what he did and his family did. She played with the ring on her finger, knowing full well that he was watching her.

"The crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond Velaryon."
Otto sat on a throne to which even in his wildest dreams he had no rights. Such an insult. An insult to her family. Her attention focused on Corlys' brother, who approached the center with a nimble movement like a snake. For indeed, he was a serpent. Venomous and treacherous. Against the will of his brother. He bowed humbly to Otto and Alicent. Already in this movement and his body language she could read the certainty of the verdict in his favor. Out of the corner of her eye, she looked at her mother, whose face betrayed nothing, but she knew deep down that she was stressed and tried to somehow get out of this situation without the help of her infirm father.

"My Queen, My Lord Hand. The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas. When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebears came to this new land, knowing that they were to fail, it would mean the end to their bloodlines and their name."
Raella sighed, rolling her eyes at Vaemon's reasoning.

"I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood, the true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins..."

Her mother couldn't take it anymore and took Vaemond's word. "As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon. If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir."

Corlys's brother turned to Rhaenyra with a raised corner of his mouth in the slightly bored smile you wear when talking to a child, much to the annoyance of Princess Raella and her brother, Jace. Luke stood slightly behind them, too terrified of the whole prospect.

"No, you only speak for yourself and for your own ambition."
"You will have a chance to make your own petition, Princess Rhaenyra." The queen cut in loudly. "Do Ser Vaemond the courtesy of allowing his to be heard."

There was silence in the chamber. Vaemond, still facing the princess, had already formed a pleased smile on his lips. As if that was the answer he expected. He looked at Raella for a moment, then looked at Jace and finally Luke. He looked at Laenor's children. Fortunately, Joff was not with them.