Chapter Eight: Talos Four

The USS Bonaventure drops out of warp and enters into orbit of Talos Four

The USS Bonaventure drops out of warp and enters into orbit of Talos Four. Initial scans of the planet indicated that there were no life signs. The only thing the Starfleet Crew could find is destroyed buildings consistent with the project being directed by the Talosians and the Augments. Burned buildings laced with the ashes of dead bodies. What vegetation existed on the planet is disintegrated. In the atmosphere, there was nothing but rubble. The planet was still capable of supporting life, but an away team would have to go in pressure suits to protect themselves against residual radiation coming from a damaged Power Grid supposed to run every complex. As for the USS Saratoga, if she was here then she is long gone by now. There is no trace of her warp signature, but that doesn't stop the Bonaventure crew from placing their ship on high alert. It would be foolish to let their guard down, especially since under ideal circumstances, they'd have their heads stuck on a pike for violating General Order Seven. Since Captain Tuvok was able to convince the Admiralty to suspend it on this occasion, it was fine; At least for now.

"Sensors show no life signs on the Planet, Captain," said Bruce Barclay, continuing to monitor the planet for any life forms that might have survived.

"No, I'm not convinced," said Damian, sitting in his chair and staring at the planet. After what Damian learned from the classified files made by Captain Christopher Pike and Captain James T. Kirk, the Talosian's primary form of defense against any aggressors is a material illusion. So it would not be too much to imagine that the Talosians would project an illusion to scatter their life signs from prying eyes.

"I've read the reports, and if the Talosians are as powerful as they are depicted, then there has to be survivors," Damian was convinced that some Talosians survived. 

"From what I am seeing, I do not think there is any way the Talosians could have survived," said Thay'la Shrol, analyzing the bombardment on her instruments. The first analysis indicates that the buildings were destroyed by a full spread of photon torpedoes armed with class ten high-yield warheads. More than enough destructive power to level an entire Town or City.

"Keep running scans of the planet, make sure nothing is overlooked," ordered Damian. He wanted to make sure his crew covered everything.  

"Aye, Sir," replied Thay'la. Damian Decker sat still with his hands intertwined. He was in deep thought about what the Talosians were like. He never saw one in real life, and the possibility of meeting an actual Talosian made him nervous. 

"Any sign of the Saratoga?" asked Damian. He turns to Bruce hoping he has something to share.

"No, Sir. I'm not detecting the Saratoga anywhere in the system," replied Bruce. Tapping on his controls, continuing to run intense scans of the system. "Nor am I picking up her warp signature," Bruce Barclay felt remorse that he didn't pick up the Saratoga on his instruments. 

"If they were here, they are long gone by now,"

"Continue scanning this system for the Saratoga. If my guts tell me anything, they'll be back,"