Chapter Six: A Trusted Confidant

As the USS Bonaventure travels at warp speed, Damian Decker sits by his desk in his quarters, listening to Berlioz, Les Troyens: "Vallon Sonore"

As the USS Bonaventure travels at warp speed, Damian Decker sits by his desk in his quarters, listening to Berlioz, Les Troyens: "Vallon Sonore". Damian was introduced to this music by Captain Will Riker since Admiral Jean Luc Picard listened to it fairly often during their time on the Enterprise-E. With his eyes closed Damian listens to the music and tries to calm himself down. Damian was stressed because of recent events and tried to process it all. The doorbell rings, and Damian groans. He didn't want to be disturbed, but decided to put his frustration aside to allow the person in; Should it ever be someone or something important. 

"Come in," said Damian. The door swishes open, and in comes Bruce Barclay. 

"Bruce, come right in," smiled Damian. If it was anyone else, Damian would probably tell them to leave him alone. If it was someone he knew, he'd make an exception. 

"Am I disturbing you, Captain?" asked Bruce, trying very hard to control the stutter that affected him throughout his entire life. A trait he inherited from his Father, and got him ridiculed by his peers quite often.

"Not at all, Mister Barclay, please," smiled Damian. Unlike those who insulted Bruce, Damian offered Bruce compassion and friendship. Two things that Bruce was grateful for. Bruce is invited to sit down, and the ginger-haired man accepts the kind invitation. 

"I was surprised to see you were assigned to the Bonaventure," said Damian. "Last time I saw you, you decided to stay on Earth," Bruce looked at Damian timidly.

"Only for a while," replied Bruce. "I was spending time with my Father, hearing him go on about his adventures on the Enterprise, and his triumphs in bringing the USS Voyager home," from the look on Bruce's face, Damian could sense he was tired.

"Hard to listen to your Dad talk about all that?" Damian asked. Bruce smiled and chuckled at Damian thinking what he said was a little bit funny.

"Try listening to it for 20 years," said Bruce. The two chuckled because both of their parents were known for going on and on about their own experiences. Damian's smile faded away, and he sighed looking down at the grey deck plates.

"So, I take it you read the reports about what happened at Starfleet Medical?" asked Damian. He didn't know if Bruce was up to speed on everything that transpired.

"I did, and to be frank, I can't believe it," like others, Bruce couldn't wrap his head around the idea that Cade was still alive.

"Believe me, Bruce, I didn't take it too well either," Damian sighed.

"After all these years, I thought he died that night only to find out he survived," Damian added. The tone in his voice made Bruce believe his Captain was feeling guilty.

"Penny for your thoughts, Damian?" asked Bruce. Out of all the people, save for Teresa Sanchez, Bruce Barclay was one of Damian's trusted confidants. 

"What do you mean," asked Damian. Playing it off as if nothing was bothering him. Bruce knew Damian better than that and could tell when his friend was lying.