Chapter Two: New Assignment

The USS Bonaventure drops out of warp and enters the Sol System

The USS Bonaventure drops out of warp and enters the Sol System. The Bridge crew all smile with happiness seeing the planet Earth on the viewscreen. The Bonaventure enters orbit of the planet, and Damian receives notice from Captain Tuvok that he is to beam down to Starfleet Headquarters right away. Just when Damian thought he was going to bring someone with him, Captain Tuvok made it clear that he was to come to Headquarters alone. At first, Damian didn't understand why, until Captain Tuvok explained to him that this was a private meeting. Damian leaves Teresa Sanchez in charge until he returns, and Teresa spares no hesitation to sit in the center chair after Damian leaves the Bridge. Damian Decker makes his way to the Transporter Room and wonders why Captain Tuvok only asked for him. The prospect of meeting Captain Tuvok in person made Damian Decker both excited and terrified. Damian could recall hearing about the tales of the USS Voyager as a kid and her seven-year voyage home crossing through the dangerous regions of the Delta Quadrant. When Damian was a first-year cadet at Starfleet Academy, he often visited the Fleet Museum during his time off and was starstruck by the sight of older ships with names that are legendary. Added recently to the collection was the restored USS Enterprise-NCC-1701-D by Commodore Geordie Laforge. The sight of Jean Luc Picard's Enterprise always gave Damian a sense of excitement since she was considered the finest out of all the vessels that bore the name.

Damian Decker wasn't fond of people, Starfleet and Civilian alike, addressing the Enterprise-D as the "fat one"

Damian Decker wasn't fond of people, Starfleet and Civilian alike, addressing the Enterprise-D as the "fat one". In his mind, Damian thought it was a major insult to a ship that saved the galaxy long before he or anyone else in his age group was ever born. In a way, hearing someone call the Galaxy Class a "fat one" was almost disrespectful. Especially to Veterans who served on Galaxy Class Ships during the Dominion War. To Damian, the Galaxy including the Sovereign were the ultimate triumphs of Starfleet design even if the designs were 30 years old. Damian hoped to serve on a Galaxy Class ship when he was a child, but sadly there were not many left in active service. To see a functioning Galaxy Class Vessel was a rare moment for Damian or anyone, and it was a treasure for the last generation to behold.

As Damian approached the Transporter, he spotted two ensigns, a Bolian, and a Trill, holding cardboard boxes and wondered what was in them.

"Excuse me," said Damian. The two ensigns froze in fear because they didn't know if they did something wrong.