4 - Camera

To my disappointment, I saw the sun rise up. Though I was so tired, I didn't sleep for a second, scared something would happen to me. The annoying beep sounded in my ears from the loud music, while I still felt every part of my body being touched. Their hands were all over me and I wished so badly for a shower, but they didn't have showers. Only some sinks with clothes.

No one else was in my room, no Minho and Newt sitting on chairs next to my bed, or Chuck sitting on Newt's lap. They weren't there. And that's when I decided to screw Lawrence and his stupid men and go out there on my own, with a plan, though.

But there was a knock on the door. I didn't even dare to open it. It was the dumbest mistake of me to open the door yesterday, and I wouldn't do it again.

"It's just me, Young Lady," Crassus spoke. "I got breakfast. Gally told me what happened."

"Mhm." I hummed, not ready to feel any other emotions as sadness and disgust.

"You gonna open the door?" Crassus questioned.

I sighed, rolling over in despair. "No. I'm never getting out of this room again unless you let me get out of the whole damn building."

Soon some tears trickled down my cheeks again.
"And you trust Gally now?" Crassus questioned.

"No," I replied again. "At this point, I don't think I can trust any man on this earth, except for Minho and Newt."

"They must be very special then." Crassus's comment, yet he sounded anything but serious and attentive.

"They are." I breathed, dreaming about the two boys.

"I would love to hear more of your drool stories, but it would be nice if you let me feed you, at least."

"I'm not a pet."

"Just let me in." Crassus bugged.
I bit my lip and eventually opened the door.
"You look like crap."

"Thank you." I buried my head in the pillow again, feeling sicker by the second.

"I warned you about the pub, Young Lady." Crassus sternly said.

I sniffed. "It wasn't my choice either. They literally dragged me in there and forced me to drink." I took a pause. "Isn't there at least something I can do to make contact with the Gladers?"

Crassus sighed, seeming to actually think about it. "Write them a letter." He suggested.

"I don't know where they are." A small sob escaped my mouth. "I don't even know if they're still alive."

"You said they were yesterday. Don't lose your hopes." Crassus patted my back.

I winced, getting a picture of Kane in my mind. "Please don't touch me." It came out way weaker than I wanted it to be.

Crassus took his hand off. "I don't know any other ways to comfort you, so we'll leave it like this if I can't do anything about it. But just write them a letter."

Then something in my mind snapped. WICKED was watching us in the Glade, so what if I could do the same thing? Make my own Beetle Blade to literally spy on the boys? I could know where they were and if they were alive, though I didn't know how long it would take to find them.

Later I gathered enough energy to get out of my bed and ask Crassus for the stuff I needed, which he brought me right away, glad I was doing something.

The uncomfortable feeling of the hands on my body never left, but working on the project helped.

~

It took me a few hours, but I managed to make the camera. It looked less scary than a Beetle Blade. The body wasn't like a scorpion, but more like a small, black beetle, a camera was in the middle, and a red light next to us. Not perfect, but useful.

"Looks pretty good." Someone walked into the room. My head snapped toward them in just a second, scared it was a random man, but it was Gally.

"Hey." He greeted, leaning against the wall.

"Hi." I responded. Of course, he helped me, but it was still no reason to be friends with him after he killed Chuck, but I did respect him a little more.

"You doing alright?" Gally wondered.

"Could be better." I cleared my throat. "Thanks for, you know.. what you did yesterday."

Gally nodded. "He deserved it."

"But why did you?" I blurted out. "Why did you help?"
Gally hated me in the Glade, so he didn't have to do that.

"Well.." Gally straightened his back. "It's not okay to do that kind of stuff at all, so I would help anyone who goes through that.. and you don't deserve it."

Then I realized Gally wasn't even that cold hearted as I thought. He might've been a bit mean in the Glade, even before he got stung, but he was right. I was a spy and he had all the right to confront me with that.. yet I wasn't going to forgive him for killing Chuck.

"Thanks, Gally." I gave him a very poor smile before turning to my work again, writing the letter since the camera was done.

"What're you doing?" Gally walked over to me.

"Trying to send them a message." I muttered, trying to focus on it.

Gally started reading out loud. "Hey, guys. Meet me at ... love, Jane." He paused.
"You think that they'll do that?"

"I hope so." I sighed. "But I don't know where I could meet them. I've never been outside."

"I have." Gally admitted. "But Lawrence won't let you leave for sure and you don't have a car or anything. It'll take days to get there, because I don't believe those boys came near us."

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Crassus said WICKED took them." Gally sighed.

"What?" I raised my voice. "And no one told me?"

Gally rubbed his chin. "Yeah, but you know them.. you know Thomas. He'll find out that it's them and they'll escape, trust me."

I bit my lip, not fully convinced. "So write down that you'll meet them at the mountains. That's where the Right Arm might be, so you could be safe right away."

"The Right Arm?"

"A group who takes subjects from WICKED into the Safe Haven. It's a safe place from the Cranks and Sun Flares." Gally explained. "Meet them by the mountains. It'll take a day or three for you to get there."