2 - A Trigger

A/N: Sorry, but I forgot to mention this in the information: There will be romance in this book, but way less than in the first one. Jane will also reunite with Minho and Newt in this book, but it will take a while, so I hope that doesn't bother you too much! But in the meanwhile, something else will happen though... :)

And I feel like a lot of people think Newt is annoying/boring in this story, so I'm very sorry for asking this, but is there anything I could do to make him a better and more likable character? 😭

~

"Stop doing that!" I groaned and bent down to my stomach where Crassus had hit me for like the third time. "This is not how I- ow!"

"Defend yourself." He calmly ordered.

"You're not giving me a chance to do so!" I argued, taking a few steps back from the man.

"You think those Cranks are gonna give you a chance?" Crassus raised his eyebrows. "Defend."

Another punch in my stomach.
"I just healed from a bullet!"

"Fight back!" Crassus commanded before he threw out another punch.

"How is this supposed to help me with fighting?" I managed to get out.

Crassus sighed and wiped some sweat off his forehead. "Obviously you won't cooperate."

"And you notice that now?" I scoffed. "Just let me out of here and find the others!"

Crassus ignored my request.
"We gotta find you a trigger."

"A what?"

"A trigger." Crassus ran a hand through his hair. "Something that'll make you fight.. gets you angry. Whatever. What gets you angry?"

"I don't know!" I threw my hands in the air.

"Did you ever fight in the maze? With who and why?" Crassus sternly asked, crossing his arms, though it looked less hot than with Minho.

I couldn't help to chuckle. "I wouldn't call it fighting."

"Just explain."

I sighed. "One time I slapped someone and the other time I rolled over the ground with the same person.. so it's not really fighting. But I did fight with Grievers!"

"Why did you slap them?" Crassus didn't seem very impressed.

"He spread rumors about me." I shrugged. After all this time I forgave Minho for his actions.

"Why did you roll over the ground?"

"He called me a Mean Hoe and a Newt Shucker." I leaned against the wall, holding my aching stomach.

"And what's a Newt Shucker?" Crassus seemed thoughtful.

"Someone who shucks Newt," I explained. "But I didn't, trust me! I didn't shuck anyone!"

"Is Newtshucker even a word?"

"Actually it's two words," I confirmed. "But does it matter?"

"You don't seem to get angry when I call you Newt Shucker," Crassus commented. "Something else that gets you angry?"

I thought about it for a second. "No. I don't think so."

Crassus frowned and mumbled something I couldn't understand.
"I know it."

"Know what?"

Crassus glanced at me. "What triggers you."

"Which is?"