Part Twenty-Eight: "I have some news"

[ A/N:
Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I've updated here. Life's been up and down and busy and I also pretty much lost all motivation to write. But in the last couple of weeks I really started to miss STRIS so I came back and smashed out a new chapter and will hopefully finish this story for you very soon. Please enjoy this new chapter! It's been a while so feel free to re-read the last couple chapters before this one haha!
- Kate ❤️ ]

—————————————————————————
(Chris POV)

The room felt cold as we entered, I couldn't help the small shiver that ran through my body.

"Congratulations on making team leader again, Hondo", Hicks told my team leader.

"Thank you, Commander. I hope Sanchez is enjoying his new position guarding the rich and famous", Hondo replied, taking his stance behind the chairs lined in front of Hicks' desk, alongside where I had taken my own position, his arms crossed in front of him.

Okay. First step. Breathe. Tell Hondo the news. Breathe.

"Yes, he seems only to have high praises for his new clientele", Hicks responded, his eyebrows raised.

"Now, your reinstatement is not the only news we have this morning, Hondo", the Commander added.

Hondo's own eyebrows raised this time, turning his gaze between the Commander and myself, then back to where Hicks was sat in his desk chair.

"I hope it is more good news, Commander?", Hondo joked, but a small underlying tone had escaped in his question.

One of worry.

My heart felt like it had began to beat a mile a minute. I needed to take charge of this change, I couldn't let my fear take this opportunity away.

Street's voice was in my head, encouraging me.

"I think I can take it from here, Commander", I blurted out before I could take it back. I needed to take control. I deserved this, I just had to remember that. 

I turned to Hondo and pressed my lips together, my anxiety had made its way to my neck, the hairs stood on end.

I decided to give a small smile, I needed to show Hondo this was what I wanted.

"Sarge...I have some news", I told Hondo as I lifted my shoulders to demonstrate my confidence.

"I will no longer be working with 20-squad", I hurried out.
"I will be taking over as the head trainer for our new S.W.A.T recruits".

Hondo leant backwards at my confession, his arms slowly uncrossed, his hands found his hips instead, his expression surprised.

"I mean, I'm upset that I'm losing one of the best S.W.A.T officers I've ever worked with", Hondo started to say as he took a step closer to me.

I immediately attempted to swallow the lump in my throat.

Hondo's face then turned from suprised to thrilled.

"But I'm so glad that one of my own youngsters are moving on up!", Hondo hollered, "No one deserves it more, Chris!", he congratulated me and dragged my body into a bear hug.

A laugh escaped from my chest at Hondo's reaction.

"I really am sorry to leave, boss, but I think this would be an amazing opportunity for myself", I explained as I stepped back from his embrace.

Hondo shook his head with a grin and turned to the Commander, his pride displayed widely on his face.

"I'd like to say I taught her everything she knows, sir, but Chris was always on a whole other level. I'm proud to say I got to work alongside this fantastic officer for so long, you've picked the best fit for this position", Hondo informed Hicks.