Part Seven - It shouldn't be a problem, right?

A/N: SURPRISE! I ended up having a little bit of downtime around my assignments so here is part seven a couple of days early! Enjoy!
- Kate 💜

—————————————————————
(Chris POV)

Street had to unfortunately leave my apartment 10 minutes later, or he would have been late to head into HQ to give an update to Hicks and Hondo on his recovery path back to SWAT.

With our agreement to keep us on the down low, my stomach fluttered. Although it was going to be risky, it meant we would get more time together to find where we are at before we are possibly separated.

And I really wanted this to work out as well.

I'm just not entirely sure how the rest of the team will take it.

Would they be happy for us?

Usually I'm not one to care what others think of me, but, this team is my family, and I don't want to do something that could damage or break our dynamic...especially since a recent decision between Street and myself would go against a very important rule of said family.

I do understand the reasoning behind no fraternising between teammates, the bias and vulnerability that can affect our cases and fieldwork.

The relationship you have with all your teammates needs to be equal, to have each other's back at the same level.

To not let personal feelings affect your game on the job.

But the feelings I have for Street...those really strong feelings....they've been there from the start, no matter how hard I tried to push them down.

We have been able to do our jobs, be at our best level, even with those feelings floating around.

It shouldn't be a problem...right?

I shake my head to free my thoughts and make my way into the bathroom to dive into a hot shower and then I can finally feel the comfort of my own bed again.

- The next day -

I felt rested after a whole day worth of sleep and had decided to take an afternoon run to try and capture the last of the L.A summer that I completely missed while away in Germany.

I also needed to get back into my workout routine so I was still in my zone to start back on shift tomorrow.

As my feet are pounding down on the cement two blocks down from my apartment building, my breathing slowly found it's pace, the music in my headphones suddenly stopped and my ringtone blasted its way through.

I turned my smartwatch toward my eyes- mid run- and saw Street's name had flashed across the face. I smiled.

"Hey", I tried to get out as I answered the call on handsfree through my headphones and continued my run down the sidewalk.

"Hey...I thought I'd wait until today to call, cause I knew you'd want to sleep and get yourself organised.....are you running right now?", Street questioned.

"Yep, gotta stay on track so I've still got my stamina for shift tomorrow!", I tried to laugh.

Street let out a small, hesitant laugh in response.
"Yeah...actually one of the reasons I called has to do with work, about my visit yesterday and some news I received".

My mind started to race as well as my already heightened heart rate , "okay...is everything alright? Hicks is going to eventually let you return to SWAT, right?".

"Oh, of course once I'm completely healed...but the news I received wasn't about me..it's about our team".

My feet started to slow down now to a fast walk, "what's going on? What did they say?", I started to worry.

"Well, I'm guessing they were going to wait to tell you in person when you started shift tomorrow but I thought you deserved to know so you weren't hit with it on your first day back..maybe I should do this in person", Street rambled on.

"Street just tell me", I pushed, now having completely stopped my steps. The heat beating down mixed with the tension, my forehead started to sweat.

"It's Hondo", Street blurted out, "Hicks said he's been demoted from 20-Squad leader".

——————————————————————

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! 💜🦋

Stris - SWAT जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें