I look around me... seeing no civilization anywhere. I can only spot hills covered in trees... so many as far as my eyes can see... well in one direction. The trees all other directions block the view of the horizon.

Okay focus. This is a new environment. How do I survive now? I have had too much experience in these situations.

I begin walking down the hill after a moment. If I can't find anyone I need to find food, and water. I have no idea where I am going but I must start somewhere. I trudge down the slope and through the trees... I don't find anything for a good while.

Light dances through the branches and on the thick grasses below. Everywhere is so much greener than what I am used to... which isn't really green at all.

I remember when I once found a living plant. Ry and I kept watch over it hoping it would spread. But one day we had to leave it. I don't think I ever saw the color green again.

I keep hiking in search for food. Living creatures is what I need to find here. I haven't seen much wildlife in years. I can't remember the taste of fresh seasoned meat.

I look down and feel the dirt in my fingers... It's moist. Water can't be too far. I stand up and run forward, hearing a thump behind me. I turn and see my pistol on the ground. I still have it! Then I have something to protect myself and hunt with. At least until the ammunition runs out.

I put it back in my belt and continue... I walk for hours... my head feeling a bit dizzy for some reason. I feel my feet weaken and my steps become heavier. I am tired. And when I am tired there isn't much left. I start to lose hope. What if I die in these woods? What if this isn't heaven? But this is not earth. Earth is gone... so then where am I? It looks like the earth I read about in history books. Back when school only taught you how to fight and how to survive.

I took a liking to books... I would sneak into the library and read our history for hours when no one else cared... I was a smart child apparently to some.

But none of that matters now. Like I said before: reality changes. And mine is completely different... Now I have no idea what reality I am in.

I watch the sun get lower and lower in the sky as I walk through trees and trees, not finding anything. Not even a squirrel...

I rest against a tree... out of breath... And it takes a lot for me to be out of breath considering the training and spending long days traveling by foot when cars and other vehicles would no longer work because of rubble and crowded, abandoned streets.

A sound rips me from my thoughts and memories. I look to see a rabbit standing tall and twitching its ears... This is it. Don't move quickly, Vil.

I pull out my pistol slowly... my fingers finding the trigger... I aim at the creature steadily... and I fire. Crap I missed. And my dinner and pouncing through the woods. No way.

I chase after it with lightning speed, reloading my gun quickly.

I hold it up but a tree blocks my aim. I groan in frustration and run faster, keeping my eyes on the small animal. I chase it past the trees and over ferns, running and not moving my eyes from—I trip over something and fall on my face. I grunt when I hit the ground, my palms hitting the dirt.

I make a pained look and move my hands to push my chest off the ground.

But then I realize that the thing under my ankle moves. I gasp and spring back to my feet.