One Hundred and Seventy: My goat is back!

Start from the beginning

"My spidey sense is tingling." Percy insisted. Sen bit back a snicker and Nico just looked confused.

"I don't get it."

Percy frowned. Nico was from the '40s, so naturally he didn't understand the really good reference Percy just made. Sen started to explain it and Percy turned away.

He shut his eyes and concentrated. Grover.

Percy knew he was somewhere in the park. Why couldn't he sense Grover's emotions? All he got was a faint hum in the base of his skull.

Grover, Percy thought more insistently.

Hmmm-mmmmm, something said.

An image came into Percy's head. He saw a giant elm tree deep in the woods, well off the main paths. Gnarled roots laced the ground, making a kind of bed. Lying in it with his arms crossed and his eyes closed was a satyr. At first Percy couldn't be sure it was Grover. He was covered in twigs and leaves, like he'd been sleeping there a long time. The roots seemed to be shaping themselves around him, slowly pulling him into the earth.

Grover, Percy said. Wake up.

Unnnh—zzzzz.

Dude, you're covered in dirt. Wake up!

Sleepy, his mind murmured.

FOOD, Percy suggested. PANCAKES!

His eyes shot open. A blur of thoughts filled Percy's head like Grover was suddenly on fast-forward. The image shattered, and Percy almost fell over.

"What happened?" Sen asked, worry in her tone.

"I got through. He's... yeah. He's on his way."

A minute later, the tree next to the demigods shivered. Grover fell out of the branches, right on his head.

"Grover!" Percy yelled.

"Woof!" Mrs. O'Leary looked up, probably wondering if they were going to play fetch with the satyr.

"Blah-haa-haa!" Grover bleated.

"You okay, man?" Percy asked.

Sen surged forward and wrapped her arms around Grover. She was crying again, which honestly didn't surprise Grover. "Grover, we missed you! So much stuff has happened! Where the hell were you?! Oh, I've missed you so much! Are you okay?!" She sobbed as she hugged him.

"Oh, I'm fine." Grover rubbed his head. His horns had grown so much they poked an inch above his curly hair. "I was at the other end of the park. The dryads had this great idea of passing me through the trees to get me here. They don't understand height very well."

He grinned and got to his feet- well, his hooves, actually. Since last summer, Grover had stopped trying to disguise himself as human. He never wore a cap or fake feet anymore. He didn't even wear jeans, since he had furry goat legs from the waist down. His T-shirt had a picture from that book Where the Wild Things Are. It was covered with dirt and tree sap. His goatee looked fuller, almost manly (or goatly?), and he was as tall as Percy now.