Forty-Three: Percy's having some emotional issues

PERCY

˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚ ❀

The next few days were torture, just like Tantalus wanted.

First there was Tyson moving into the Poseidon cabin, giggling to himself every fifteen seconds and saying, "Percy is my brother?" like he'd just won the lottery.

"Aw, Tyson." Percy winced, not knowing how to skirt around it. "It's not that simple." Even though it really was that simple.

But there was no explaining it to him. He was in heaven. And Percy... as much as he liked the big guy, he couldn't help feeling embarrassed.

Not, not embarrassed. He was downright ashamed.

His father, the all-powerful Poseidon, had gotten moony-eyed for some nature spirit, and Tyson had been the result. Percy had read the myths about Cyclopes. He even remembered that they were often Poseidon's children. But he'd never really processed that this made them his family. Until he had Tyson living with him in the next bunk.

And then there were the comments from the other campers. Suddenly, he wasn't Percy Jackson, the cool guy who'd retrieved Zeus's lightning bolt last summer. Now he was Percy Jackson, the poor schmuck with the ugly monster for a brother.

"He's not my real brother!" Percy protested whenever Tyson wasn't around. "He's more like a half-brother on the monstrous side of the family. Like... a half-brother twice removed, or something."

Nobody bought it.

Percy had to admit it. He was angry at Poseidon. Resentful, even. Being a son of Poseidon was a joke, now.

Annabeth tried to make him feel better. She suggested they team up for the chariot race to take their minds off their problems. They were both sick of Tantalus and were worried sick about the camp, but what could they do? Until they could come up with some brilliant plan to save Thalia's tree, they figured they might as well go along with the races. After all, Annabeth's mom, Athena, had invented the chariot, and Percy's dad had created horses. Together they would own that track.

One day, Percy and Annabeth were sitting by the lake, working out chariot designs.

"I just don't know what to do." Percy murmured in a low voice. "All of a sudden, I have no friends. Even Sen is giving me weird looks."

"Yeah, but not because of Tyson." Annabeth said. "Well, because of Tyson, but not the same way."

It was true. Sen was one of the only two campers that didn't seem to have a problem with Tyson. The other was Beckendorf, an African American kid with hands like a tennis racket that could build anything known to man. His dad was the forge god, Hephaestus, so he knew how to work with Cyclopes. He planned to get Tyson in the forge and making awesome stuff in no time.

Sen, on the other hand, had no such background. Theoretically, with her grandmother being the goddess of beauty, she should've hated someone as ugly as Tyson- the same way the Aphrodite campers did. But something just didn't go that way inside of her. She was crazy sweet to Tyson. She bought him new clothes with her own money, was teaching him how to write his name... she even cut his hair for him since it was so matted and overgrown.