Thirty-Seven: Percy is just a *little* bit obsessed

PERCY

˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚ ❀

Percy started his day with a nightmare about Grover shopping for wedding dresses.

He sat bolt upright in his bed. Morning light filtered through the window, illuminating the streets of Manhattan. Outside the window, he saw some sort of shadow ripple, but it was gone as quick as it came.

A knock at the door jarred Percy from his thoughts. "Percy, you're going to be late!"

It must've been his imagination. A fifth-story window with a rickety old fire escape... there couldn't have been anyone out there.

"Come on, dear." Sally called again. "Last day of school. You should be excited! You've almost made it!"

Percy fought for words, and came up with, "Coming."

He felt under the pillow. His fingers closed reassuringly around the ballpoint pen he always slept with. He brought it out, studied the Ancient Greek writing engraved on the side: Anaklusmos. Riptide.

He wanted so badly to uncap it. Just to swing, just to feel his strength...

But, of course, he had promised not to use weapons in the apartment anymore after he knocked over his mom's china cabinet with a javelin. He put the pen away and dragged himself out of bed.

He crossed over to his desk. Trashed, as was most of his room. ADHD kids weren't known for having the neatest of living places. But the desk wasn't trashed with old wrappers and dirty clothes like the rest of Percy's room was. The desk was trashed with dove feathers, random rocks, and nearly nine months' worth of letters. It was trashed, but in an organized way; Percy's favorite letters were taped up on the wall, the rocks were put in specific areas with similar rocks, and the feathers were being kept in a little cup. It wasn't his fault if a few came free.

He looked at his all-time favorite letter. It was the one right in the middle of the wall, written in blue pen. It was entirely in Latin, and it was the first letter in Latin that Percy had been able to fully understand. It was an exceedingly simple letter; Sen was just explaining a cool looking frog she saw with a nymph named Poppy and her dog, Rafael, but it was definitely Percy's favorite.

He was ridiculously excited. Last day of school loosely translates to one day left for camp. He got dressed as quickly as he could, eager to wrap up the day.

Only one more day to go. Surely even he couldn't mess that up.

BUT WAIT!

˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚ ❀

After a breakfast of blue food and seeing a shadow across the street, Percy started his day at Meriweather College Prep- a "progressive" school in downtown, where the teachers wear jeans and rock t-shirts, the kids sit on yoga balls and beanbags instead of chairs and desks, and grades don't really exist.

Percy had to admit, it was kind of sick. Being dyslexic and having ADHD aren't very good recipes for academics. You either forget to do the assignment, forget how to do the assignment, forget the due date for the assignment, forget to turn in the assignment, or fuck up the spelling on the assignment so bad, you may as well have had a dog named Rafael do it.