One Hundred and Thirty-Nine: It's like the Terminator

PERCY

˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚ ❀

In, Percy's dreams, he heard laughter. Cold, harsh laughter, like knives being sharpened.

He was standing at the edge of a pit in the depths of Tartarus. Below, the darkness seethed like inky soup.

"So close to your own destruction, little hero." The voice of Kronos chided. "And still you are blind."

The voice was different than it had been before. It seemed almost physical now, as if it were speaking from a real body instead of... whatever he'd been in his chopped-up condition.

"I have much to thank you and your friends for." Kronos said. "You have assured my rise."

The shadows in the cavern became deeper and heavier. Percy tried to back away from the edge of the pit, but it was like swimming through oil. Time slowed down. His breathing almost stopped as terror seemingly made the darkness move faster.

"A favor." Kronos said. "The Titan lord always pays his debts. Perhaps a glimpse of the friends you abandoned..."

The darkness rippled around Percy, and he was in a different cave.

"Hurry!" Tyson said. He came barreling into the room. Grover stumbled along behind him. There was a rumbling in the corridor they'd come from, and the head of an enormous snake burst into the cave. It was so big, its body barely fit through the tunnel. Its scales were coppery. Its head was diamond-shaped like a rattler, and its yellow eyes glowed with hatred. When it opened its mouth, its fangs were as tall as Tyson.

It lashed at Grover, but Grover scampered out of the way. The snake got a mouthful of dirt. Tyson picked up a boulder and threw it at the monster, smacking it between the eyes, but the snake just recoiled and hissed.

"It's going to eat you!" Grover yelled at Tyson.

"How do you know?"

"It just told me! Run!"

Tyson darted to one side, but the snake used its head like a club and knocked him off his feet.

"No!" Grover yelled. But before Tyson could regain his balance, the snake wrapped around him and started to squeeze.

Tyson strained, pushing with all his immense strength, but the snake squeezed tighter. Grover frantically hit the snake with his reed pipes, but he might as well have been banging on a stone wall.

The whole room shook as the snake flexed its muscles, shuddering to overcome Tyson's strength. Grover began to play with pipes, and stalactites rained down from the ceiling. The whole cave seemed about to collapse...

Percy gasped as he shot awake, Sen shaking his shoulder. "Percy, wake up!"

"Tyson- Tyson's in trouble!" Percy said. "We have to help him!"

"First things first!" Annabeth said just behind Sen. "Earthquake!"

Sure enough, the room was rumbling. "Rachel!" Percy yelled.