Chapter Two

The next morning, Ella woke up early with plans to make soup that would last her the entire school week for lunch.

Pulling her long wavy hair back, it really was getting too long and Ella needed to get it cut. Shrugging, no-one saw it, so what was the point? After Ava's wedding, she planned to ditch the hair spray that dulled her hair and the unflattering black rim glasses that hid her face.

Ella finished styling her hair and then opened her wardrobe. This was another thing that would be discarded. She had a tendency to buy unappealing and bulky clothing items. In order to present herself as Mrs Blackwater, Ella had been gradually buying a few things to refresh her wardrobe throughout the past year. Making a face that wasn't going to occur anymore.

Ella swiftly put on jeans and a hunter green knitted jumper so large it could accommodate three of her. Wearing her cosy Taos shoes and carrying her bag, Ella departed from her one-bedroom loft apartment situated above a corner shop. With limited space, the bedroom could only accommodate a double bed, but it provided her with a sense of personal space.

Ella made her way into town in just 5 minutes, pausing to buy two coffees and chocolate slices. When she arrived at her best friend Emily's dress shop, Emily was speaking to a customer from behind the counter. "The colour looked amazing on you, and you'll be the belle of the ball." Emily exclaimed.

Emily maintained a stock of her own designs and well-known brands, while also creating custom pieces for special events. Emily had already started working on Ella's gown for her wedding, but since the wedding got cancelled, she won't allow Ella to compensate her for the progress made.

With a huge grin, the customer walked out of the store. That was accomplished by Emily's work. She had an innate knack for selecting the perfect fabric, style, and colour that enhanced anyone's appearance.

"Hi lovely." Emily said brightly.

"I bought coffee and your favourite chocolate slice." Ella held them up to show.

"Oh, you wicked girl, you. But I love you for it." Em said with a cheeky smile.

Ella smiled, aware of Emily's fondness for sweets and coffee. "What would you say if I didn't turn up here with them?"

"I'd send you straight back to get it, so sue me." Emily's grin widened. "So, how was the evil bitch last night?"

Emily and Ella were lifelong friends, and she had a deep hatred for Ava.

"Oh, you know the same. Focused on her wedding and the ball." Ella told her.

"You should stop using that product in your hair and embrace your true self instead of hiding behind a facade." Em expressed her opinion. It was something she never had reservations about doing.

"I will, once she is married." Ell promised.

A snort escaped Emily. "Do you really think Ava married would make any difference? You have put your life on hold."

"I know you're right. Just give me time, Emily. I have lived this lie for a long time." Ella pleaded.

"Part of it isn't a lie Ella, you can be shy around people you don't know. I have no idea how you ended up engaged to Stephen." Em reasoned.

"Stephen and I had a deep connection, but I believe it was primarily a friendship. If there had been more, Ava wouldn't have been able to take him away so easily."

"Still a bitch." Em snapped

Ella provided reassurance to her friend. "No really, Emily, she did me a favour. I wasn't in love. I realised I should have been more hurt and upset."