15

ALL I DO

ALL I DO.
{ irl }

matt walks into class late, breathing a bit heavily due to him having to run through the halls to get here. after miss elsher is done scolding him, matt walks over to his desk.

as he passes niola's desk she grabs the material of his hoodie, making him stop walking and face her. "why the hell are you suddenly late to class every single day?" she mutters, quiet enough that nobody else can hear how harsh her voice is.

he smiles at her, making her hold on his clothing falter. niola suddenly realizes that despite how long they've been keeping up this fake-dating act, she's only seen matt truly smile when he's with his brothers. it's not rare for him to smile. but for him to smile out of pure joy and nothing else? that's what's uncommon. when she lets go of his hoodie, matt walks to his desk and sits down in his chair.

miss elsher only talks for a moment or two, explaining that everyone will be working on their projects for the period since the presentations are due at the end of this week. as soon as she's finished with her short lecture, niola turns around.

niola spins her chair around to face matt and glares at him, waiting for his explanation. matt just digs into his pocket and pulls out the envelope. "a nice friend of yours invited us to her seventeenth birthday party tonight."

"a friend of mine?" niola takes the envelope and rips it open, pulling out a little card. in neat cursive writting, the girl wrote down her address and the time of the party. niola raises a brow at the letter and looks up at matt. "you know i don't have friends. and if i did, i wouldn't be friends with someone like her."

"someone like her?" matt repeats, not expecting that sort of outlash from her. "do you know that girl?"

"i did." niola says, tossing the paper back to matt and crossing her arms over her chest with a huff of irritation. "and let's just say, she has some nerve inviting you to her party while thinking that we're dating."

"sounds to me like you're being a bit protective of your boyfriend, silvers." matt teases.

niola scoffs, "you wish."

matt leans his elbows on his desk, resting his chin in his hand. he blinks at her, silently begging her to tell him the story. niola having drama with someone is more rare than matt smiling at something other than his brothers. "there's no way i'm missing out on this story." he tells her.

"there isn't much to tell, honestly." niola admits.

matt watches as a sorrowful expression takes over her expression. simply by watching a frown grow across her lips, he feels like he's been punched in the gut. the way her brows knit in sadness, the way she avoids eye contact. every detail of her face pains him physically just by seeing her upset.