And suddenly the glass door of the balcony swung open. I didn't even move, as if I didn't see the point. I looked at the scarlet puddle, at the knife in my hand, at the body. His white shirt turned purple. I felt the blood congeal on my skin.

– Holy shit.

I looked up, and when I saw Arthur, my heart sank into my heels, crushing the interfering bones. He looked from me to the bed. Then he closed his eyes and took a deep breath, stood and thought for a while. I didn't move from my place and stared at him with frozen eyes. I was afraid to breathe. Then Arthur began to approach, simultaneously pulling off his black coat. I involuntarily jerked back, sobbing and throwing my hands forward, as if in an attempt to defend myself. Then Morgan slowly continued to take off his outer clothing and carefully draped it over my shoulders. He touched my hand lightly, and the bloody knife was already in his possession. Absently lowering my eyes down, I slipped my hands into the sleeves of coat and covered my naked body. Then he took out a rag somewhere and gently cupping my chin with rough fingers began to wipe the blood from my face in complete silence. I think I could hear my heart pounding. How loudly I was breathing. My mouth was dry.

The subsequent moments were as if in a fog. Arthur was silent all the time. Took me out of that apartment. It was already night, and no one paid attention. Morgan helped me onto the horse, and sat down next to me. Then we ended up in a local saloon, where Morgan paid for a room and a bathroom. He held my hand the whole way.

Immersed in complete silence, I sat in the hot water and watched it turn scarlet. No one here asked questions. When the bathroom door was closing, I heard Arthur asking a defiantly dressed girl to look after me and provide help if needed. Those for money will fulfill any request.

I was lying on the bed and looking out the open window. Behind him, passersby and drunks were making noise. I didn't twitch when the door opened, as if I felt that it was him. Lying on my side, I listened to his movements, actions. How he took off his hat, rolled up the sleeves of his black shirt, took a chair and put it in front of. I looked at him warily. Arthur stopped shaving his facial hair, so the stubble became more noticeable, giving him more menace and special attractiveness.

– How did you know where I was? – I broke the silence first.

– I've been following you, – he replied, flicking the lighter.

– Did Hosea ask you? – I asked.

– Dutch, – Arthur lit the tip of his cigarette and smoke. – You disappeared from the camp, and he thought that you decided to do something stupid. And he was right.

– What should we do with the body now? – I said, staring at the black sky outside the window.

– I've dealt with everything, – he replied shortly, and I realized that it was impossible to ask questions and ask for details.

– You won't tell anyone about this, will you? – I said, looking at him again. – Please.

– I won't tell anyone, – he said after a few seconds of silence.

– Thank you.

And he really didn't tell anyone anything. Came up with some kind of story so as not to arouse suspicion. Figured out everything and didn't ask questions, didn't try to teach morality. And we didn't discuss it anymore. That's when I realized I was attracted to him. And I think he guessed.

After a while, Arthur met Mary. A girl from a rich family. Morgan was not a particular talker and did not share the details of his personal life. He often disappeared, trying to build some kind of relationship outside the gang.

It wasn't until many years later that I found out about Eliza and Isaac.

***