Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Mirror, Mirror

I jumped from my seat and to Alex. We didn't know where the sound came from.

Until Taylor Swift's voice came in with the guitar.

I facepalmed at the same time as Alex.

We were alarmed because of my ringtone and his alarm clock. Yea. Alex has an alarm clock. Don't be so surprised. I was the one who forced him to do that. Before, I called him every morning just to wake him up. It was such a hassle, so I just told him to buy an alarm clock.

"I remember it all to well." I heard. I looked up and heard Alex singing along to the song.

I stared at him. His eyes had a weird cyan color to them, and I might as well admit it, I actually got why girls want him, and boys want to be him. But that wasn't the reason why I stared.

I stared at him because of his voice.

No one ever heard him sing. Even me. That was the first time I heard him sing.

"And I know it's long gone, and the magic's not here no more. I might be okay but I'm not fine at all" He continued softly.

I stared more into his dim face. His voice was deep and raspy. It could win over any girl's heart in a matter of seconds.

"So here we are again in the middle of the night. We dance around the kitchen in the refrigerator light."

He had one bloody hell of a voice. And he sounded like he really means everything he sang. It was like he was dedicating it to someone. Someone he loved with his whole heart.

"So casually cruel-" He stopped abruptly making my thoughts to stop as well. "What's wrong?" He asked me. Alex cupped my face and stared at my eyes. A part of his hair seemed to glow in the soft light coming from the refrigerator.

I couldn't speak. 'I don't know.' I tried to say. I really don't know why. Probably his voice has some sort of curse thing.

I looked away from him and stood up from his lap. "I'll see you later, Alex."

I went up to his room without looking back. Although I could still feel his confused gaze on me. I shook my head and walked up the stairs slowly. It took me about three minutes and seven seconds before I opened the door to Alex's room.

I grabbed my towel from my bag and went inside the bathroom. I got a glance at the mirror. I was so surprised at what I saw.

I saw a girl. About my age, and with average height. Her dark hair was long and curly. Her eyes were a blue-green color with a hint of gray. Her eyes were so full of wonder and curiosity. It struck me on how the girl I was looking at was so different from who I was before. Before, my hair was a blonde color, and my eyes were ice-blue. I didn't hold as much emotion as right now. My eyes used to be steely, and my face was always in a scowl.

But I couldn't get over the fact that I was the player's best friend.

The picture of Alex and I that hung on the counter near the mirror wasn't helping at all. The photo showed us in the beach when we were twelve. I had my black Speedo swim suit and Alex in his trunks. He was still a few inches taller than me, but it was better than now. (He was three or two heads taller than me now.) We had our arms around each other and we both had stupid grins plastered on our faces.

And I still remember that day. It was one of the best days of my life.

[FLASHBACK]

"Come on, Vanah!" Alex persuaded me.

"No!" I yelled. "I don't know how to swim."

He pulled my hand even more. "Please, Vanah."

I stared at him.

He stared back.

Staring...

Staring...

More staring...

I sighed. "Alright."

He gave me a huge grin.

"Vanah! Alex!" Mom called.

Alex and I looked at her. "Can you two pose for a picture?!" She asked us.

"Heh." We shrugged. Alex draped an arm around my shoulders while I did the same. Mom grinned at us as she held the camera up. I grinned back and realized that Alex was doing the same.

We both laughed for a long time. After settling down, I noticed the tune that played in the distance. It was a pretty tune, but I found it as creepy as clowns.

"Alex," I called out.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"Can we go back?"

He looked at me. "Why?"

I bit my lips to keep myself from trembling. He nodded and led the two of us back to the cabin.

[END FLASHBACK]

I couldn't help but smile at the memory again. But what happened after wasn't as gleeful as that.

A few days after the outing, I started going out of focus. No one knew why, though. But I also started having higher grades. My memory got better, and Alex...well...he became more protective of me.

A drop of water fell onto my hand.

Then more.

Even more.

I felt my face wet. And I realized that it wasn't water at all.

I was crying.

I wasn't crying because I missed those times.

I was crying because that was also the time when Alex started to become a player. Yes, he became a player when he was twelve. His grades also started to slip, and his focus started going out.

I should've accepted him for who he really was, but I just couldn't.

Alex could never be the same again.

Alex will never stop playing with fire.

I've thought about doing the same, but I just couldn't. It just wasn't for me. Alex and I were just meant to be different from each other.

Maybe my life was just too cliché.

"Vanah!" Someone called from outside the door, snapping me out of my thoughts. I looked at the door. "Yeah." I muttered. "I'll be right out."

•••••••

"What's number fifteen?" Alex asked me in a hush tone.

We were taking the test for Algebra, and it was like a tradition for Alex and me to ask each other some questions. Yeah. I'm badass too. The effects of being best friends with Alexander Chase.

I glanced at my paper. "It's letter 'A'."

"Thanks."

I answered the question mindlessly. Not really knowing what I was doing exactly.

Six pages of Algebra later, the PA rang.

"Good afternoon, students." The principal announced. "I'm glad to announce that the S.H. Dance is happening at the end of the month. Good luck with your dates."

One thought appeared in my mind.

'Good luck, Alex!'

_________________________________________________________