Epilogue

November 30th 2024

"It was a dominant performance last weekend from the Ferrari driver who looks set to do the impossible and bring home the championship for the historic Italian team for the first time in seventeen years," the commentators say over the radio, a relaxed air about Charles as one hand rests on my knee and the other sits on the steering wheel as we make the drive to the final race of the season. "Charles Leclerc recovered the lead of the driver's championship last weekend in Las Vegas and took pole position yesterday in the final qualifying session of the season in Abu Dhabi. While it's far from over, the Monegasque is driving with a confidence and a calmness we've never seen from him. It must be a worry for Hamilton who needs to win the race. Although after a change of his engine component, now starts in sixth, five places further back than he qualified right behind Lecle-"

"I don't know how you listen to this! It's making me nervous," I whine, quickly turning the channel as the words finally get under my skin and Charles laughs at my response, ignoring my death stare as his eyes are glued to the road.

"It happens or it doesn't. All I can do is my best," he says with a shrug, seemingly resigned to the day before we even get to the track. His calmness makes me more nervous as I worry for the both of us, my hand linking with his as it rests on my leg. I already knew that I was worrying for both of us, the reason his hand was on my knee in the first place was to try and stop it from bouncing, the motion out of the corner of his eye seemingly distracting and agitating him.

"I know... you just deserve this..." I say softly, squeezing his hand with the words as though that will help drill the words into his mind. I know he is nervous deep down. He wants it so bad, not just for himself but for the team as well... I, however, want it for him. No one is more deserving, not in my mind. If I could somehow make it so that I could guarantee the win for him today then I would.

It was closer than either of us could really comprehend which was why we had procrastinated going to the track, staying in bed with Ruby all morning as Charles insisted that was what he wanted to do. Reading her a book before we put Cars on for the thousandth time this year and watched that, the distraction needed more for me than either of them.

"I know... and I want this just as bad as always but keeping a cool head, staying calm and focused... that's the best thing right now," he assures me, a smirk coming over his face as he squeezes my hand back before returning it to the steering wheel and moved to indicate us off the road and towards the track.

"I love you," I tell him after a few moments, no other words feeling vaguely suitable to help with the task of keeping him calm and focused. However, when he sighs, the familiar dazed smile coming over his face and he glances at me, I'm pretty confident I found the right ones.

"I will never ever get tired of hearing you say that boss," he assures me, words bringing a calmness to me as I nod, pleased with my handy work. It's quiet other than that, Ruby preoccupied with some sort of cognitive toy in her hands as she says the occasional word to Charles or I before getting quickly distracted. We walk into the paddock hand in hand, the same as every other week since I came back in Brazil, smiles on our face as we try to enjoy the buzz around the paddock - the F1 community excited for the potential crowning of a new winner or Lewis's 8th which after two years of Red Bull dominance was a nice change of pace.

My spare hand holds Ruby's as she skips on the other side of me, her red dress matching my trousers and Charles's top while Charles carries both his rucksack and my handbag with his free arm. All three of us are smiling as we walk past the cameras who have now learnt that keeping a respectable distance from us, specifically from Ruby, means that they will get a lot more cooperation from Charles and I.