The boy looked down to their locked hands fondly, "Yet, I do not feel guilt for it." he looked up, "I care for you, Saehild. That wasn't a lie."

Saehild tilted her head slightly, trying to hold back her grin, "I care for you as well." bravely she took a step forward closing the gap between them, "There was a reason I did not reject you."

Aethelstan looked down to the lady, as she was looking up to him through her eyelashes. Suspiciously. the conner of Saehild lip started to curl, locking eyes with Aethelstan's emerald ones. No one, not even god, knew how much the boy wanted to lend down and kiss her properly.

"Lady Saehild!?" a guard called out, right as their lips ghosted over each other.

Aethelstan swallowed the lump in his throat, "We should get back."

Sighing hard, Saehild dropped her hands placing them in front, "If we are to be leaders, then we must fulfill our duties...but what may come after?" Not giving time to response, she pushed passed trying to find the guard who was calling.

"Ah, Lady" he huffed in relief, "Lord Aldhelm is asking for you."

***********************

"You sent for me?" Saehild addressed her father, finding him standing over a fire alone.

Aldhelm squinted his eyes and titled his head, "No, "hello father?"", he opened his arm, inviting Saehild to stand next to him, "How have you?"

"Well, it feels like the Wessex guards are burning holes through me." she told truthfully, "The more I ponder about it the more uneasy I feel."

"You are prepared, Saehild." Aldhelm flashed a smile to the fire, turning his head to his child, "The men trust and look to you, as one of their leaders now. Aethelflaed and Astrid would be proud."

Saehild's head shot up, at the mention of her mother. She was even surprised to be talking to her father again. After the argument, she did not think that he would want to talk to her. A part of her did want to resolve the tension between them, especially in this moment. It had been some time since Saehild had seen her father vulnerable. He always tried to show the girls that he was strong and could fix any of their problems. So badly, she wished to go back and enjoy being naive again, yet there was no time. She had to be a leader now, be the leader that her mother and father knew she could be. She had to be the leader to brake the madness of these lands. 

When Edward confronted his child, and then denied to save his other, it was as if a fire had been lite inside him. Standing in that throne hall Saehild's words rang throughout his head, "do not become a dog of Edward.". Aldhlem vowed to keep his promise, and after his screaming match with Saehild, the lord realized that right in front of her, he was breaking that promise. Right in front of his precious child, he was letting her down. No, he could no linger let his daughters down. They had lost their mother and their home, Aldhelm would no longer stand at Edwards side and oblige to his rules.  

"Ah!" Finan shouted walking towards the pair, "The father and daughter warriors."

"Go along." Aldhelm nodded to Saehild. "We leave by sun rise. Be ready."

Silently she bowed her head to the two, going back to her duties. Much still needed to be done. Weapons must be sharpened, men must be feed--but most importantly, everyone needed to be ready for a battle.

"She takes after her father, that's for sure." Finan smiled watching Saehild be such a natural. "They've all grown up to fast, wouldn't you say?"

Aldhelm looked to his child and flashed a smile. He never wanted to admit it, but she had grown some much. She no longer wanted to wear her hair with ribbon and flowers, but needed it to be pulled back so that she may fight. She no longer wanted to wear her flowing gowns, but opted to wear trousers so that she may move more easily. The men looked at her as a commander and no longer a small child learning no how to hold a sword. Indeed he missed the days where Saehild would ask for his help with the most mundane task, but she no longer needed his aid.