Chapter 43 - Still Feel It All

Start from the beginning

They were words that you hadn't exchanged with one another yet, but you still felt it all the same.

Present Day

You were stuck in your daydream when Colt caught you looking at him from across the backseat. His head turned on a pivot and the expression in his eyes was completely unreadable. Like his mind had done enough thinking to completely sever any connection to his body. You blinked, recognizing that look of utter defeat. You had seen it on his face before. It was from a time you were both still recovering from.

In hopes of preventing Sasha or Nicolo from noticing, you pulled the hand that Colt held and brought it to your lap to cover the interlocked fingers with your other hand. You felt your heart breaking at the sight, bringing you back to reality.

You weren't the only one whose life was being affected by the plaguing thoughts in your mind.

The vehicle coming to a sudden stop in front of the restaurant pulled you out of your trance for just a moment.

"Alright, we're here!" Sasha announced, twisting her body to face you in the back. "God, I'm starving!" You watched as the couple in the front stepped out of the vehicle before slamming the door.

Colt's hand managed to slip out between your palms to exit the vehicle himself, leaving you alone in a brief second of quiet contemplation. Realizing that everyone had started to walk inside already, you shook yourself awake and got out.

Colt waited for you by the trunk of the vehicle, still avoiding your gaze. He was always checking in on you, making sure you felt comfortable. It made the guilt in your chest burn even more.

"Are you okay?" you asked, placing a hand on his upper arm to try and coax him to look at you. Your question was almost futile.

"Why am I here, Y/N?" he asked so plainly, it felt cruel.

"Wh-what do you mean-"

"I thought about it all night, and all day, and hell even the whole time we've been together," he rattled off, like listing the results of a test. "But I had no idea it was going to be like this."

You could feel your eyes shaking, trying to find any hint of tenderness in him.

He continued, simply because you had no ability to retort. "You still have feelings for him, don't you?"

The ground beneath you felt like it had given out, crumbling into a pile of rubble at the bottom of a hole with no way out. "Why do you...? I...umm..." you muttered in sheer panic.

"You couldn't even give me a straightforward denial," he said so quickly, it felt like he didn't give you enough time.

The sound of a different set of tires scraping against the pavement caught your attention, cutting your attention away from the flames that were growing around you. You glanced at Colt who was scowling at the ground upon seeing who was arriving. You on the other hand couldn't believe the sight of that shitty pickup truck still driving like the first day he got it.

You watched as Hitch slid out the passenger side, making your body feel unavoidably hot. There was only one bench in that tight truck and only enough room for three people. You were nearly embarrassed at the relief of seeing Connie slip out the passenger side as well, implying that he sat as a buffer between them.

'At least they weren't alone...' you found yourself thinking, making you hate yourself even more.

Colt suddenly wrapped an arm around your shoulder, making your walk to the restaurant all the more obvious. To anyone watching, you looked like a stable couple going in to enjoy a nice dinner. With just one glance behind you, you couldn't tell how Eren was reading the situation.