"The best way to redeem herself is by letting you dispose of your trust like a responsible adult you are. You'll need a place to live in Italy, mi cielo, although you can stay at one of my hotels in Milan for as long as you want. Or let me pay for a place for you."

I pushed my fingers through Rys's hair and curled them around his nape so he'd lean in. Our lips brushed once, but the second-long contact was enough for desire to tug at my lower stomach.

I missed him — like a friend, but also a lover.

"Let me talk to them first."

Rys splayed his palm over my back, moving it in circles. "And then my girlfriend will stop being stubborn and let me take care of her?"

"Your girlfriend."

He put his mouth on my neck. The wet kiss had me clenching my eyes shut and edging forward until Rys and I were chest to chest. It was after his mouth imprinted itself on every inch of my throat that the clink of glasses at the bar reminded me we weren't alone.

"Where's your room?" I whispered.

Rys gave me a knowing smirk. "Here. But as nice as the executive suite is, I'd rather take you somewhere else."

"Where?"

His next soft kiss lingered on my forehead. "Home."

***

Although I spent most part of the two-hour journey sleeping in Rys's arms while Clay drove, I woke up just in time to see Ellingworth at night. The city grew a lot over the last years, becoming just as important of a business center as Emerport.

"Do you live in something like one of those?" I pointed at the skyscrapers we'd passed.

"I have an apartment close to the office, but I only stay there if I work late and have no energy to drive."

"So, you live in a house."

Rys kissed the tip of my nose. "You'll see."

It was a house. Modern and expansive, with giant square windows and solar panels on the roof, far from the bustle of the city. Rys thanked Clay for taking us home and led me up the driveway, holding my hand.

A fresh scent enveloped us as soon as he opened the door. I took off my shoes and cut across the foyer, following Rys's lead.

He had a thing for minimalism, but the house was cozy despite the modern furniture. Unlike the one in Marfolk, his home in Ellingworth had more personal things — paperbacks piled up on the coffee table, and a few potted plants that didn't look too thirsty.

"Would you like anything?" Rys asked.

I stopped by the display of photos on the living room wall. "Just some water."

As he went to the kitchen to get it, I examined the images. In one of them, Rys's parents stood next to their son the day of his graduation. Rys was with Asher in another photo, probably after a race because of the trophy in Asher's hands. A childhood picture of Rys with a tall boy caught my eye.

"That's Elio," Rys said, coming up to me.

Only now did I notice the similarities between the child and the man I'd seen. "How's he?"

"He's good. My father only needed him for a couple of weeks, so he has a new client. "

"What about the blackmail?"

"It was Charles."

I took a moment to remember. Then Cohen's yacht party came to my mind. "The guy in a gray suit I talked to. No way."