Two

Coffee Fan, the coffee shop where Payton and I usually met, was uncharacteristically empty this morning. I'd bet it was because most of their clientele — people my age — were still asleep after partying all night.

After Brock left, I couldn't sleep. The way he'd told me we were taking a break replayed in my head until my parents' laughter filled the house closer to dawn. I heard them walk to their bedroom, chatting about their evening. They seemed to be the ones who'd graduated, while their daughter ditched a party with her classmates for a boyfriend who had better things to do than stay with her.

"Is something wrong?" Payton brought the coffee mug to her mouth, looking at me over the rim as she sipped her latte.

I studied my best friend. The tips of her glossy, jet-black hair brushed her shoulders, and her eye makeup in pinkish-red tones made her green eyes pop.

"Everything's wrong," I said. "Brock wants a break."

Payton's plump lips parted. She lowered her drink slowly as if I'd change my words by the time her mug made it to the table.

"Are you kidding me? But you wanted to travel somewhere with him this summer."

"He feels 'stressed out.'" I air-quoted. "And last night, he left me on my own because Max invited him over."

Payton flicked her brows up. "And you let him go? Just like that?"

"What was I supposed to do? Tie him to the bed and beg him to stay?"

"Maybe? You're his girlfriend."

I huffed, rubbing my eyes with the heels of my palms. They ached from my lack of sleep, and were bloodshot to boot. "Pay, what part of Brock wanting a break didn't you hear? It's not like arguing with him would've changed his mind."

When I dropped my hands and looked at Payton, her expression was pitying. "So he's, you know," she lowered her voice, "going to sleep with someone else?"

Acid scorched the back of my throat. "He said he wouldn't. Also, I don't know how to tell my mother." Because she'd say I did something to scare him off, and I'd feel even worse.

"Why tell her anything?" Payton picked up her coffee and went on drinking while I couldn't even look at mine.

"Because I still want to travel. I thought you and I could go together. It's been forever since we did something like that."

Two summers ago, Payton and I spent two weeks at one of our family resorts. She kept saying it was the best vacation of her life, and I'd gladly repeat that experience if that helped me take my mind off Brock.

Payton drove out a harsh sigh. One glance at her face was enough to regret my offer.

"I can't," she said. "Jack promised to let me work more shifts."

Payton was a waitress at The Modern Grill, a steakhouse in downtown Wickhampton. She said the tips were decent but still not enough, which is why she occasionally worked at The Fragment — a swanky night club most rich Northcaster University students frequented. Everyone raved about it, but I couldn't get on board with the fake atmosphere.

"You won't spend a cent," I said, trying to stop disappointment from sneaking into my voice. "We'd stay at one of our resorts, go to the beach... Please?"

She finished her coffee and dabbed at her mouth with a napkin. "Wish I could, but some of us need to save."

The few sips of cappuccino I managed to swallow sloshed in my empty stomach, and I breathed in and out. Some needed to save while I had everything handed to me, and yet, it didn't make me happier.