Seven

I left Rys's house feeling a hundred times lighter. I'd expected him to judge me for my reckless drinking, immature nicknames, and awkwardness, but instead, we chatted nonstop all afternoon like old friends.

Except friends didn't feel shivers from each other's touch, and their heartbeat didn't go into a frenzy from one caress.

Maybe I was the only one feeling that way. It'd be easier to spend time with Rys knowing he saw me only as a girl in a relationship he helped once.

He didn't need to know that I hadn't thought about Brock since last night. When Rys was around, I didn't check my phone for texts. I enjoyed the day without obsessing over Brock's whereabouts and Payton's possible resentment toward my money.

My family money since I couldn't touch my hefty trust fund because of a stupid clause. If it were mine, I would've already found a jewelry design school to enroll in.

I changed into a white tank and gray sweats and retrieved the bag with beads and jewelry patterns from the closet.

This evening, I settled at the table in the backyard to make a red-and-blue seed beads necklace and earrings. The bold, bright colors were perfect for wearing with plain clothes. As I opened the folder of patterns I'd printed, my phone rang.

I hit the green icon and pressed the cell to my ear. "Hi, Pay."

"Hi there," Payton sang. "How's your vacation going?"

"Great so far. How's work?"

She huffed. "Same old, but I'm going out tonight. I wish you were here."

"I miss you too," I said, leafing through designs in the folder. "Who are you going out with?"

"Some workmates you don't know. Did you hear from Brock?"

"Not since yesterday morning," I said. What I didn't want Payton to know was that I called him only to be spoken to as if I were an overbearing, clingy girlfriend who never gave him space. How little he cared about me was sad to admit, even more so because Payton rooted for us and thought we were made for each other.

"Lyra..." Pity dripped from Payton's voice.

"It's okay. Really. I'm enjoying my solo time."

She chuckled. "Well... Solo, or maybe you're also taking advantage of the break?"

Although I noticed the also part, I ignored it. "I'm going to make a necklace and call it a day. Have fun with your friends."

"And you with your hobby."

I hung up first because I had no clue what else to say, and had a gut feeling mentioning Rys wasn't smart.

My thoughts kept drifting to him as I started netting. When it got dark, save for the moonlight, I lit a few scented candles I'd brought and continued working.

At eleven, footsteps made my heart skip a beat like last night. Rys strolled toward me, wearing a suit jacket over a white button-down paired with black slacks. Now he looked every bit the CEO he was.

"Still up?"

I rested the necklace on the table. "It's not late yet, and I was busy. How was dinner?"

"Great," he said, sitting in an empty chair. "And wow."

He examined the unfinished accessory, cocking his head as if to look at it from different angles.

"It's not difficult to make. You just need to focus."

Focusing was way easier when he wasn't near, but I'd never admit it sober.

Rys trawled his gaze over my face. "It's beautiful. In case you were wondering why I'm here, I wanted to see you, but also, I need to ask you a favor, and I hope you say yes."