Twenty-one

The weight pressing down on me had nothing to do with Rys's heavy arm protectively wrapped around my waist and everything to do with missing most application deadlines for a Master's degree in Italy.

Rys's gentle encouragement and his faith in me spurred me to click on several websites while he was answering an urgent work call. It turned out, most Italian colleges expected the applicants to send the paperwork in May and June. I was too late.

Not looking into it sooner and waiting to apply for so long were two of the many mistakes I made, scared of rejection and judgment. The doors of big, renowned universities were closed, and the few open ones terrified me.

Angelo Rizzo Jewelry School didn't want someone who made jewelry as a hobby using patterns other people posted online but someone who'd already created a collection and was ready to wow them with it. They wanted someone skillful and confident enough to make a sales pitch.

In turn, they'd cover the student's tuition — expensive, to say the least — and give them the knowledge bound to jumpstart their career in design.

The problem was, the non-classy set I wore for the graduation ceremony was my only original idea — two pieces when they wanted eight.

Pressure constricted my chest, and my heart quickened its beats to match the speed of the thoughts whizzing through my brain. I had a little longer than a month. A lot could happen in thirty days. Ironically, I knew it all too well now.

"Lyra?"

Rys's sleepy voice put my overthinking to rest. He flattened his palm over my belly and gently kissed my bare shoulder.

We'd fallen asleep on the couch while watching the second movie — a comedy neither of us cared about — but I woke up after what seemed to be a few hours and lay still, afraid to disturb his sleep.

I turned my head and touched Rys's lips with mine. "Did I wake you?"

He smoothed a hand over my hip. "I'm a light sleeper, but it wasn't you. Just a million things on my mind."

"Do you want to talk?"

"Not about that." Rys traced the curve of my waist with his fingertips. "Better tell me why you're awake."

He must've had too many business-related worries, but he never wanted to vent, and I wasn't one to push.

"Lots on my mind too, I guess," I said, facing him.

"I know a good cure for overthinking-caused insomnia." Rys curved his lips, and I hooked an arm around his neck.

"Are you trying to seduce me, Mr. Delano?"

His small smile morphed into a smirk. "If I wanted to, I'd just do it. No need to try."

I threw my leg on top of his and nestled into his side. "Only you can get away with saying something so cocky."

His chest rumbled with laughter. "If you want sex, just say it. You know I'm yours."

"After we do whatever you'd planned. I'm curious."

Rys gently pushed me away and sat, rotating his neck. "The plan depends on the weather. Let's see if it stopped raining."

Save for the light Rys turned on in his man cave, the house was dark. In the kitchen, Rys slid the door leading to the patio open and stepped aside so I'd go first.

It was hard to believe the night would be so calm after the fierce storm. We crossed the backyard holding hands and descended the steps to the beach.

"A night stroll?" I asked, knotting my fingers through Rys's.